Crazy Idea: Extruded Polystyrene Sump??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Crazy Idea: Extruded Polystyrene Sump???

I have some pieces of 1" extruded polystyrene left over from my abandoned DIY 3d background attempt.

Would it be sturdy enough to make a sump? Perhaps 10 or 15 gallons?

How would I seal the joints? What about coating the inside with epoxy resin?

Yes, I could buy a 10 gallon tank for under $10, but since I already have the polystyrene and epoxy it is 'free' .

Or am I completly bonkers with this one?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 02:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
As my Daddy used to say, "Some things are just too much trouble for a nickel," . I'm sure it would work, but unless you've just really got a lot of time on your hands and nothing better to do, I doubt it would be worth the time and trouble you spend on it.

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I think thats what I used to line (insulate) my sump. I cant amagine its rigid enough to make a tank out of though? Were talking about the blue foam right (not really sure I am at work right now and not lookin at the stuff)?

~Tristan

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
do not do it
buy a rubbermaid
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm with everyone else, even though it's a worthy idea it's too much trouble. You have to think of heated water, the flow that could knock things around, the sealent wouldn't be as strong on such a "soft" material. Although, you could place a piece over a sump to give added insulation so that the water will not loose as much heat during transfer. Or you could sell some fish and use that as packing material, or as cushion for a tank...whatever you do with it however, don't try to use it to hold water...

Sheer Madness!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode