DIY LED light for cylinder tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY LED light for cylinder tank

Greetings fellow aquarists,

I just got hold of a 55gal 24" diameter by 33" deep cylinder tank that came with a T5 fixture with a couple of 10watt 460nm actinic bulbs.
Either to supplement or replace it I'm considering assembling together an LED fixture using the following:

MakersLED heatsink (either 6" or 12")
8 cool white Cree XP-G R5
4 royal blue Cree XT-E
1 neutral white Cree XP-G R5
all emitters with 40degree lenses
one Meanwell ELN-60-48D driver
10v ac adapter for dimming
12v ac adapter for fan

The tank contains black pebble substrate. I'd like to toss in a few plants like hornwort, anacharis, etc. and a whole bunch of rainbowfishes and gouramis

How are the above combination of LED's? How about 5 CW, 4 RB, 4 NW instead? Are 13 tightly spaced emmiters enough?

The tank comes with a 12 inch high canopy so I planned on situating the LED fixture roughly this distance from the water surface. Hence the light to substrate distance would be 44 inches.

Hope to get some thoughts and advice from more experienced aquarists here.

thanks,
JT

Last edited by jerseytomato; 02-09-2014 at 04:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Your idea should work using 40 degree optics, but the mix of colors would be largely based on what looks best to you. If you use two dimmable drivers instead of one you could dial in the light color however you want. Using 16 LEDs definitely gives you enough light to go with high light if you want, and 13 might also do so. Just keep them uniformly spaced across both axis - rows and individual LEDs.

I hope you spend some time looking at a cylindrical tank of about this size, with water/fish in it, to see if it makes you feel sick from the optical distortion. I know it bothers me when I try it with even larger radius cylinders.

Hoppy
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Planted Member

i will post in detail my pendant plan for you. I have to go to my daughters play now. will repost tonight.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Thank you sirs,
Yep, I'm aware of the optical distortion the tank projects. It helps if one looks at it with only one eye and straight ahead.

I wanted to keep the LED lighting project within a $150 budget. Getting a second driver and more emitters would bring it over. I'm also tending to assembling a 14 emitter array. Would this be possible with the Meanwell driver? I like to imagine having a reactor core in the middle of my studio.

I think I'll do 5cw, 5nw and 4 royal blue in a 6x6 heatsink though I'm looking forward to seeing skanderson's pendant design.

thanks,
JT
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Planted Member

I have a 65 gallon hex that is behind my main tank just to grow plants and up the system volume. I places a diy led using a 6 inch makers heatsink over it. I will recheck the par numbers with all the leds running at full power tomorrow when they are back on. I thought the numbers were around 35 par at the substrate. I used one 30 watt bxra 4k emitter with 60 degree optics and 4 6.5k cree xmls running at 1amp using 60 degree optics. the color is a little too yellow for a display tank with those on. I am running all 5 leds with one ldd 1000 driver. I do not like the cree cool whites. they have poor color rendition and your proposed lights would be low in the warm end of the spectrum. it is hard to say what exact lights will get you a good color with them all driven on the same driver. the dll drivers will handle up to 52 watts of emitters but they require a separate power supply so that may not work on your budget. I would buy a mix of warm white, neutral white, and cool white of whatever type of white emitter you want and plan on playing around with the ratio. I would also add 1 or 2 royal blues and maybe a red and maybe a cool blue/cyan. http://www.fasttech.com/category/160...s/MTMyPUNyZWU/ this site has awesome pricing on the cree emitters, but no colored emitters that run at the same amperage as the mains you want to use. my 6 inch heatsink handles the 42 watts without any problem. it gets a bit warm if the fan is off but not intolerably so. here is a bad pick of the tank and the inside of a similar pendant for my main tank.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would just build a single cold white multichip light mounted on an old computer cpu heatsink. 100w should be enough.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100W-White-C...item53fe6b2cf3
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Planted Member

ok missed the other pic here it is.

there are 5 sets of different colored leds around the 30 watt emitter in the center of this pendant. I tried to get them as close together as possible. it is complex because each color is on its own driver. one thought would be to use the smaller round emitter pads instead of the regular stars so you can get them closer. and then just make a small reflector around the whole pendant like I did. this should help avoid color blending issues. feel free to ask any questions and keep us updated on the build. another good emitter for this build would be a 12 watt luxeon m. they are listed as warm white but to my eye the color is in the 5 to 6 k range. they are much cooler then my 4k bxras. there is a good thread on the luxeon m on here but I don't know if anyone other than me has built anything with them. I just but together 3 of them over my 40 gallon frag tank with a bit of blue added to see what it looks like. I will take pics and par numbers tomorrow when the lights come on.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Planted Member

dam wrong pic again. one more try at it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Planted Member

I would avoid a generic array as the efficiency and color may not be good. that being said I would bet a efficient 50 watt emitter would be plenty bright but I don't know what color I would go for and if that color would make it look right. the new bridgelux emitters are the vero series and they are supposed to have decent cri but only in the warmer emitters and most people find that too yellow a look. also cree has a high cri array series that would work for this application but again I wouldn't guarantee the look.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Planted Member

I forgot to answer your question. I think that 13 3 watt emitters would probably be enough light but depending on how high you are hanging it you may be able to use 60 degree optics. my leds are 30 inches from the substrate. I have a 5 inch bed. I would leave at least one inch from the top of the makers to the hood so you get good cooling. so your lights will probably be closer to 42 inches from the substrate. you could use a cheap power supply like this. http://www.parts-express.com/12-vdc-...m_campaign=pla and then run 2 or 3 runs with different colors on them using ldds at either 1000 or 700 mamp ones.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Planted Member

btw a cylinder tank like this would be ideal for a circular reflector like hoppy was working on.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanderson View Post
btw a cylinder tank like this would be ideal for a circular reflector like hoppy was working on.
Yes, it would look sweet with a pendant style lighting.

If TS is going medium light then why not a simple pendant e27 solution? A 25w par38 led bulb costs about 30usd and works really good.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanderson View Post
I was thinking of that...would look complementary...

Tags
cylinder led

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode