What PVC cement do you use? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)
What PVC cement do you use?

I'm looking to setup a PVC undergravel filter. I wont need to glue all the parts but I have a few I would like to. I just want to make sure the PVC cement I purchased is aquarium safe.

Last edited by greenteam; 11-15-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Any will do. Some have color added to them so you can see where you've applied the glue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)
yeah I wanted to avoid the purple stuff but just so many options lol

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
all PVC Cement is safe for human drinking water; thus they should all be safe for marine biology too... just make sure its fully cured.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The colors denote different forms of the glue. Purple is primer, which most of us don't need if we use reasonably new pipe. It is designed to soften the pipe when it gets a hard shell on it. Blue is for wet like if you are working underwater like in a ditch full. I've never used the orange, not sure of what it is designed to be. Then you have the choice in clear of all purpose or PVC only. There is a cleaner as well but I rarely use it as I sand and clean any dirt before doing the work. They are all strong stuff and need to set and let the smell go away before I feel safe to add them to the tank.
Read and take the hazard warnings serious. You can blow your hair off if you let the fumes ignite.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm a plumber and work with PVC pipe almost daily. The glue is designed to work with the primer. Not all primer is purple, they do make clear stuff. The reason why it is purple so that inspectors can see it has been primed and so that you can remember what you have primed and what you haven't.
The glue will hold with out the primer though. The primer is pretty nasty stuff so try not to get it on your skin, and don't huff the fumes from the can cause you'll get a nasty headache.

With that being said, if you're just using the piping in the tank and underwater, I wouldn't bother gluing or priming anything. Dry fit usually holds pretty well. I've even come across joints in houses that someone forgot to glue and have held for years. If the piping is outside of the tank I would absolutely prime and glue it to prevent leaks onto a floor.

I have a PVC spray bar in my tank and it's dry fit, not glued.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Point to make is that most of the PVC glues will do what we need for tank work, even none at all. That leaves the need for primer and the extreme glues for other work. Weather is one thing that does change what we need to use. Cold or wet need different methods than dry and warm. But in our tank work we are rarely facing either. As mentioned, just putting it together without glue will do fine if the only result might be the spray bar popping off. When building a spray bar system, I would recommend going without glue rather than build a mess that had to be cut to get it out at some point.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode