Fluval 305 spray bar & intake help please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fluval 305 spray bar & intake help please

To all the DIYers out there:

I'd like to modify my Fluval 305 intake & outtake. I'd like to make the intake more friendly and maybe see through? Glass or clear plastic possibly.

My 55G heavily planted could use better flow. Some dead spots are acquiring algae. Is a spray bar the solution? If so, any tips and equipment lists would be a huge help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not sure on the intake question, never tried glass. But for the output, I find mixed results on spraybars. A single outlet on the end of a 55 may not get enough to suit with a spray bar. A bar does spread the flow but it does also divide the force so that it may not carry as far across the tank. I leave mine off. Then for added movement, I go with powerheads as they can be placed where needed easier that filter equipment.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do have a few powerheads laying around. But I'm using a 300-400 GPH canister and 25-50% flow at most. So there is plenty of potential. I will have to try and mess with it.

As far as the intake. I keep seeing glass diffusers that are crystal clear, but most intakes are a dark color plastic or green or translucent. Are there any clear (less distracting/noticeable) options? It would also be nice to have a quick change pre-filter options that dont look so.... homemade?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
does it have to be a DYI solutions?

Does this have to be a DIY project, or would buying a ready made solution be ok?

If buying is ok, look up Eheim Install Set 1 - Intake (4005300) & Install Set 2 - Spray Bar (4005310). You can find them on Amazon or eBay and maybe your LFS could order them. The Eheim hardware is compatible with Fluval canister filters (both share the same size hosing 16/22mm*).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x26AALUGL14&feature=share&list=UUbax0iKcE17wp_sUpc59qZA
*You can use the ribbed hose that came with the Fluval or buy some vinyl tubing. Both the Fluval and some models of Eheim uses a 16mm ID 21mm OD hose. The closest we can get cheaply in the US is 5/8" ID with 3/4" OD, which works fine. You might need to heat the vinyl hose (use hot water)

Last edited by King of Hyrule; 02-08-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar fixes. fixed youtube link.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's pretty much exactly what i'm looking for! Great find Hyrule. I did not know they were cross-compatible I was only looking to DIY to make this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Jon View Post
That's pretty much exactly what i'm looking for! Great find Hyrule. I did not know they were cross-compatible I was only looking to DIY to make this.
Happy to pay it forward; some time ago I posted roughly the same question and some one reply with Eheim parts. I saw your question and I thought I could help.

I had a review video in the works for the Fluval 206. I had some footage of the spray bar and intake so I decided to post that too. It nice to see the hardware in action.

Amazon had both unit at last check. They aren't cheap, but they are awesome.

Father of the Princess Zelda.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm willing to pay for quality. I think this is something most in the hobby discover inevitably. In fact, I already received the spray bar! The intake should arrive this week sometime and I will change it out this weekend. Any tips for installing with the ribbed Fluval 305 standard hoses?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm willing to pay for quality. I think this is something most in the hobby discover inevitably. In fact, I already received the spray bar! The intake should arrive this week sometime and I will change it out this weekend.
So true! I have spend 3x on cheap lighting, before I but a finned. I have 5 HOB filter in the closet.

Quote:
Any tips for installing with the ribbed Fluval 305 standard hoses?
I used the gray couplers that came with the Fluval, to connect the hose to the intake/spray bar. It felt kind of iffy, but never leaked a drop. I later went to the vinyl hosing and with that I didn't need the coupler. I think the gray coupler is what is the 16mm/22mm. The ribbed hose might fit without it. I kind of want to go back and check now...

Father of the Princess Zelda.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode