There are going to be a few questions. I mean besides from "Why in heaven would you...". For example, the placement of the pump. Or, how do we get this thing leakproof.
I have to admit - I haven't really started this yet. I don't need a canister filter right now, I am just trying out this idea.
So, with regards to the pump placement, we have a lot of combinations:
1) inside or outside the container
2) top or bottom of container
3) blowing in or blowing out
That would be 2x2x2 = 8 possible positions. Oh my. WWUD??
1) Inside would make the whole setup more quiet, compact and pleasing, and if the pump leaks a bit it wouldn't matter. But it would add a some heat which might not be good in Summer, take away some space inside the jar, plus I would have feed the power cable through the container, yet another source for leaks.
2) Not sure about that one.
3) Blowing in puts the container under pressure, which might make it more prone to leaking. On the other hand it would provide a nice way to diffuse CO2.
Gotta think about that one a bit more.