• 4 Post By DiabloCanine
  • 2 Post By Adkins.its

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Adkins.its
DIY Inline pH Probe

It ended up looking pretty good. Parts list for those who care.

1. 1 - SCH80 3/4" T threaded
2. 2 - SCH80 3/4" NPT - 1/2" Barb
3. 1 - SCH80 3/4" NPT - 1/2" NPT Reducer
4. 1 - 3/4" NPT Liquid Tight Cord Grip (make sure to use plenty of tape or glue on the thread that does into the T.
5. Teflon tape or PVC glue

A side note: You could probably use a 1/2" T and Barbs with this setup. I wanted more of a volume of water around the probe, as well as this way you can have so room to have the end of the probe in the center of the flow and still have have space for debris to get around the probe just in case. Lets face it, "in case" tends to happen more than less
All of the fitting were bought at Lowe's except for the cord grip

In case anyone might be wanting to get a hold of one of these handy little cord grips, and you don't want to pay for shipping or wait for it, if you have a Kendell Electric or any other kind of specialty electrical supply store give them a call and you can probably get you what you need. They have a lot of different sizes you would just have to talk with them about.

Just a simple design I thought I would share. Doesn't leak at all.

Any questions, just ask.

11.4g - Rimless Tree Scape
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

In case anyone is wondering I have been using this flawlessly for about 2 months now...nothing but accurate readings and dry floors...lol
McCarthy and McCarthy like this.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great diy, I'll be doing this for my setup soon.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Consider modifying it a little to put the black part of the probe flush with the coupling, the yellow portion of the probe in that area is hollow and can crack......DC

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey man thanks for the input.

Ya I actually was considering that the other day while I was looking at it. I just thought about adding a 4" piece of pvc to lengthen it enough to submerge the probe all the way into the tube. Solving the issue, making it flush.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Out of curiosity, why did you use sch 80 instead of sch 40?

And my personal thought for your design would be to put the probe on one end of the tee and move the barb to where the probe currently is. This way the water has to hit the probe before making the 90* turn and with the right length pipe, you can allow the probe tip to be right in the middle of the Tee intersection (which would work for any mounting configuration). Basically, not allowing the probe to block or allow build up.

Thanks,
AndrewH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you use sch 80 instead of sch 40?
I used sch 80 because thats what the barbs are and I just wanted it all to look the same. And the Lowe's out here has the barbs right next to the sch 80. Using the sch 40 would obviously be fine and maybe a little cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
And my personal thought for your design would be to put the probe on one end of the tee and move the barb to where the probe currently is. This way the water has to hit the probe before making the 90* turn and with the right length pipe, you can allow the probe tip to be right in the middle of the Tee intersection (which would work for any mounting configuration). Basically, not allowing the probe to block or allow build up.
Ya, that would defiantly work. I have it last thing right before the intake fitting on my filter, so I needed it to be straight on. I guess the the 90* could restrict your flow a little bit more than the straight as well. But with a 304 and a 305 on my 55 gal I'm sure that it wouldn't make much difference on my tank.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well, like you said, with only one pipe fitting sch 40 over 80 isn't a huge expense difference.

I really like your design and the simplicity of it.

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks A lot!

Ya I just wanted something people could use and not have to have a pvc plumbed tank or if they already had a DC or Rex reactor and didn't want to make a new manifold to do both. Although DC's all-in-one reactor, ph probe, temp probe mani is the s***.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adkins,
This post could be helpful to me, but I am a total beginner when it comes to DIY plumbing.
I want to create a T connection as you did for an Eheim 2128 temperature probe. I need to check the tubing size the filter uses (I think it's 12/16mm or about 1/2-5/8").

Can you recommend the easiest way to create what I need and how do you seal the part that the probe fits into?

Thanks for any help. Sorry to be so lame.

[SIZE="2"]48 gal ADA tank, Aquasoil, Grand Solar, R/O water with changes 1x/week. Inject pressurized CO2; filter with Eheim 2215.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
After some years, is this still a good and watertight solution?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbittman View Post
Adkins,
This post could be helpful to me, but I am a total beginner when it comes to DIY plumbing.
I want to create a T connection as you did for an Eheim 2128 temperature probe. I need to check the tubing size the filter uses (I think it's 12/16mm or about 1/2-5/8").

Can you recommend the easiest way to create what I need and how do you seal the part that the probe fits into?

Are you still in need of this information lol?

Thanks for any help. Sorry to be so lame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
After some years, is this still a good and watertight solution?
I no longer have this but I do have a buddy who still has it in use to this very day!
McCarthy and McCarthy like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode