Waterproofing new aquarium stand - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Waterproofing new aquarium stand

Hey guys, I've been trying to figure out how I should water proof my DIY aquarium stand structure. I'm not talking about the exterior finish wood, but the internal structure. My initial thought was some Thompson's water sealer, but I've seen a few few builds using Killz. I do like the idea of painting the stand white on the inside to help see what I'll have inside. Thoughts? Killz and some white paint?? If Killz which variety of it?

Here is the stand at the moment, this is what I'm wanting to waterproof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
now that is what i call a bomb shelter.

I wouldn't worry about Killz... in fact, anything with a moldicide I'd not put anywhere near my water. Most folks just skin their stand and go; but if you really want to do something plain old paint would probably be enough

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
You don't need to waterproof it at all.If you want to paint it white then use a good primer and paint. Although it may get wet it won't stay wet. The white paint isn't a bad idea though.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
You don't need to waterproof it at all.If you want to paint it white then use a good primer and paint. Although it may get wet it won't stay wet. The white paint isn't a bad idea though.

That's what I'll be doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Killz is a great primer.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
A few coats of water sol polyurethane couldn't hurt.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Wonder how it would work if I coated the stand in a layer of some sort of paint and the got a bunch of clear silicone and spread it in a thin layer over the bottom of the stand to make it a water sealed pan. Of course I would have to add some 2x4's to finish the pan.
Tenmuses and Tenmuses like this.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Planted Member

unless u have a sump in there you can leave it like this if humidity acumulate in the stand something not normal All my diy stand are bare untreated wood and they never got moldy (my oldest stand is more then 10 years old.) If u have a sump painting it with regular wall paint did the trick for many stand i build for friends that have reefs but you will need more than one coat of paint because the wood will absorb a lot of it. It does look better and it is easier to keep clean when painted.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I am running a sump on this setup. It's gonna be a 55g tank, which is my reasoning for wanting waterproof/seal it.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
Yeah I am running a sump on this setup. It's gonna be a 55g tank, which is my reasoning for wanting waterproof/seal it.
Don't. And forget about making a silicone "pan". You don't need it. Leave the back of the stand unskinned for a little circulation.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The back of the stand will be open, however I am going to close it off with window screen to keep my cats out of the stand as they like to sneak drinks from my 3g desktop tank.

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 12:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I used 1/4" lauan on the inside bottom of my stand, caulked the bottom joints and the corners and then used white latex Kilz to paint the interior of the stand. The white definitely brightened up the interior.

Also, when my tank developed a slight dripping problem, the bottom of the stand filled up with 1.5 inches of water and I avoided a wet floor.

Another choice would be to buy some flexible rubber material that is used for shower pan liner under ceramic tile, it's not cheap but would work.
Tenmuses and Tenmuses like this.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
It's gonna be a 55g tank, which is my reasoning for wanting waterproof/seal it.
holy crap. I've seen some over built stands, but yours takes the cake, and pie...

at least you know it'll never fail, even if the house falls down on it.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
holy crap. I've seen some over built stands, but yours takes the cake, and pie...

at least you know it'll never fail, even if the house falls down on it.
Hahaha that was the plan! I also plan to swap this 125g out for a 200+g tank so I built it 24" deep to anticipate a bigger tank.

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

chayos00, as mentioned in your other thread, white paint. For those who haven't been in that thread - white paint on the inside is awesome! I saw one or two stands with that done, so glad I took the extra day or two for painting.

Not sure about your areas, but our municipal 'waste management' site (dump) has a paint recycling center. On the way out, you stop in and grab whatever paint you want. I found a 5G pail of white, 1G pail of primer. Free!

SumpPimp#26

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode