Ph and DYI Co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ph and DYI Co2

My DIY Co2 is doing well...well enough to where my ph has went from a consistent 7.4 for well over 18 months to 6.8-7.0 hard to differeniate between the greens. My fish are are still doing okay though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 03:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Sounds like it's working fine. As long as it's staying consistent and you're not getting algae, I'd say you're good

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
How are you turning it off? If at all?
My DIY CO2 helped my tank a lot. But I had to turn it off at night or it would drive my ph way too low. I was using an internal reactor driven by a Power head. When off the CO2 burped up & out the powerhead.
It does work but many tricks need to apply for any consistency in ph & CO2. A digital ph meter tells what's really happening but the regency will pretty much ball park you & tell if your dropping or rising in ph.
I do feel that it is not healthy to burp the gas into the room. I was actually feeling very sick for awhile . I felt it was the CO2! I decided to run on pressurized & see what happens. I felt better almost immediately.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:00 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
In general, DIY CO2 cannot be turned off, but there are other ways to prevent accumulation of CO2 in the aquarium when it is not needed (i.e. at night), such as by using an air pump on a timer.

The small amount of gas that is produced by DIY CO2 is probably fine to off gas into the room; there is no dangerous byproduct, and it is unlikely you are living in an air tight room.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
at night i add airstone...good enough?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:05 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualady View Post
at night i add airstone...good enough?
In all likelihood, you won't even need an airstone.

Provided that you have sufficient surface agitation, it is unlikely that CO2 will build up to dangerous levels.

You did not mention what size aquarium you have as well, but with DIY CO2, it is difficult to overgas as well.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode