NOOB ALERT: Did I do this right? (CO2) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
NOOB ALERT: Did I do this right? (CO2)

I have a 10 gal with 2.5 wpg. Trying to grow a DHG carpet, I also have Frogbit and Cabomba.

I made a DIY CO2 set-up after watching this video:

I used two 1-liter water bottles (one with recipe, one to separate), silicon tubing, check valve, and airstone. Recipe: 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, 1/8 tsp yeast, 1/8 tsp hot water.

It's been about 17 hrs and nothing yet. I'm going to wait a full 24 before I start over.

I know it will need a lot of pressure to work with the airstone. Is this recipe gonna cut it? With those amounts the water bottle is only less than 1/2 full and I've read other places it should be closer to 3/4. Also, that just doesn't seem like a lot of yeast!

I want to try the cigarette filter method, but I think I'd have to order the filters online. Something I can look into if the airstone doesn't work.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 06:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
is the seal between the cap and airline tight enough? did you drill a hole and silicon or use a smaller hole and forced a seal?

if your mixture is only filling up half the bottle, you need to add more water/sugar. i use 2 liter bottles because there's alot more help in the diy, compared to 1 liter. in a 2 liter it should be 2 cups of sugar, ~1/4 tsp yeast, ~1/8 tsp of baking soda (or you can use lemon juice). make sure you use warm water when you add it to the bottle so the yeast can activate, if you use room temp or cold nothing will happen. I cap the bottle with an undrilled cap and shake it for a minute or two, then let it sit with the cap on. i usually see bubbles within the first hour or so, then i quickly switch caps with one that's predrilled so the hole is small enough that you need to use pliers and a good amount of force to bring the tubing through. for a diffuser, regular airstones make too large a bubble imo. snap a chopstick off so you have enough length to push inside the other end of the tube about 2-3'', the bubbles it creates are small enough to be diffused more effectively than compared to an airstone. if you can get a cig filter though definitely use that

another method is to buy cheap unflavored carbonated water and use a drilled cap on that bottle, i havent done this but ive seen the same results as diy co2.

search on the forums, there's plenty of similar help threads.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you! I did everything you mentioned, but I think you're right I need more liquid. We'll see what happened. Oh and smaller hole forced a seal-took me FOREVER to get the thing in there haha.

Why did I not think of carbonated water. Why. WHY. Omg. Researching now.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Algae Grower

just my two cent

did you activate or "proof" the yeast before hand?
The water should be lukewarm. Yeast activates best in water that is between 90 and 110 degrees, before you dumped it into the sugar/water mix?
if your not getting C02 after 17 hrs i think you'll have to start over.
in fact you should get a reaction within one hr. i did DIY CO2 before going to a pressurized system.
after i'd finish the mix, i'd place the bottles on a heating pad set at low for 20 mins and get a nice kick start. not to long mind you, you don't want to over heat the mix.

airstones worked fine for me, plenty of pressure will build up to push out that line!
in fact you may think about putting a Y with a small valve you can open to vent into the atmosphereat lights out, if the bottle over pressures,from say a cloged line it will burst and you'll have a big mess to clean up
or do what i did, and that was to Y into an empty bottle (large) bottle at night and after two or three days. a good amount of pressure builds up in that empty bottle, then you can recover it back into your tank without wasting any CO2

good luck, let us know how it works out
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I boiled water and used 1/4 tsp to activate the yeast for about 3 min before adding....too hot? Did I kill it?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 PM
Algae Grower

i think so, way too hot!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Algae Grower

don't boil the water, you might have killed the yeast. you can just use regular tap water and "feel" for the temperature. I usually put the tap on the hottest setting, and turn it down until it feels right. the more you do it you'll understand what temperature you need just by feeling it. if you have a thermometer you can get the exact temp so you know what you're working with

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon View Post
I boiled water and used 1/4 tsp to activate the yeast for about 3 min before adding....too hot? Did I kill it?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh my gosh I killed the freaking yeast. Facepalm. Well if you're going to be a noob I guess you should go all out........
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Oh my gosh I killed the freaking yeast. Facepalm. Well if you're going to be a noob I guess you should go all out........
LOL,just a learning curve. right.

just thinking outloud did you use fleischmann's yeast?
not that theres anything wrong with that, it's what i started with. but found that brewer's yeast last longer and is much more "potent".

this was my setup. the dead line, i could divert into the empty bottle at night.
then i opened it after a time back into the tank.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha I like to laugh at my own clumsiness. I often surprise even myself. When I planted the DHG the first time I didn't know you were supposed to take the wool off and separate it. I just basically plunked it into the substrate. FAIL. Yes I'm getting my masters degree...........

So is the Y just for efficiency of tubing basically? And to combine two bottles?

I'm not sure what brand I got, I'll have to check when I get home.

Thank you so much for taking time to respond and be so helpful to a newbie. One day I will know what I'm doing and I will help others!!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
If you can't hold your finger in the water it will kill the yeast in seconds

3 Gal Betta Tank | 10 Gal Shrimp/Fry Tank |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

For those dedicated fans following along at home, I have found a new way to fail.

I re-did it with warm-not hot-water, waited 3 hours....nothing. I am now convinced I have a leak.

A. Can you recommend a silicon sealant thingy? Never bought one before....

B. Do I have to start all over again or can I just goop some sealant on this batch?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Algae Grower

if you think you have a leak, dilute some soap with water and put it around the cap, air will make bubbles if you do have a leak.

I've used silicone sealant, but it continuously bends and the seal eventually failed no matter how thick i made it. if you can get some rigid tubing, pull that through a smaller sized hole in the cap, and seal it with silicone you should get a no leak seal. make sure you wait over a day from the time you applied the silicone, any moisture will ruin the curing process.

can you type what recipe you used for the 2nd try?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode