Taco Bell Nano Filter Idea - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Taco Bell Nano Filter Idea

So today I am going about my usual water change routine on my 2.5 Gallon nano when I got this idea for a nano canister.

I normally use a 1 gallon rubbermaid container for my water changes & to mix solution in prior to refilling my aquarium. But it doesn't fit under the faucet so I have been using a Taco Bell cup to fill the jug. Well when I was done and cleaning up for some reason I just dropped the cup into the jug to make things easier to carry when I discovered it was a perfect fit.

(Regular size Taco Bell cup)

(Rubbermaid 1 Gallon Container $.99 at Wal-Mart)

(Insert the cup like so)

(The threaded lid secures it nicely to the top)

So this gives you the basic idea, I think from my quick trial that the lid will be ok once under pressure but a little plumbers tape around the threads before you clamp it down should suffice.

Sorry I didn't plumb it, lots of other DIY threads show various methods depending on your equipment. I mainly wanted to present the items used because its cheap and seems to have a lot of potential for the DIY community.

(Final Product)

Current Project:
2.5 gal nano

Last edited by Nano Nano; 11-03-2007 at 05:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

If you got one of those Elite Mini powerhead/filter things suited for 2.5gl tanks (the ones that come with the Marineland kit), I could see that being a really good nano-canister.
Someone should try that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I tried using a mayonnaise container as a heater chamber... The cap would have two small holes and one large hole. I would have shoved my Visitherm heater into the big hole, and the input tube would go in a little bit, and the output tube would go in all the way till it touched the bottom...
Problem is, leaks...
The container does not seal well enough. The idea was dumped...
I can't find any of those "lock and lock" containers at Walmart.

Rena Filtstar #137!

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

tropicalfish,

I am not sure of the particular jar you are talking about but it may be something to do with the fact the mayo jar is disposable. Once you break the seal to consume the product its effectiveness is diminished?

The rubbermaid product is more designed for storage, and the lip around the cup seems to be the same size as the threading on my container so the lid seals like normal just one thread less than before.

I filled it with water and shook it, gave it the James Bond "shaken not stirred" test lol and it held ok. So granted I haven't tested it under working conditions to see if leaks develop over long term but as I said it seemed to hold pretty good.

Current Project:
2.5 gal nano
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
I am pondering something very similar. It will be hard to leakproof the area where the return tube goes through the jar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm afraid I don't understand the purpose of the taco bell media chamber when you could just toss all the media in there anyway, without the cup.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano Nano View Post
tropicalfish,

I am not sure of the particular jar you are talking about but it may be something to do with the fact the mayo jar is disposable. Once you break the seal to consume the product its effectiveness is diminished?

The rubbermaid product is more designed for storage, and the lip around the cup seems to be the same size as the threading on my container so the lid seals like normal just one thread less than before.

I filled it with water and shook it, gave it the James Bond "shaken not stirred" test lol and it held ok. So granted I haven't tested it under working conditions to see if leaks develop over long term but as I said it seemed to hold pretty good.

Mine was a glass jar with a plastic cap.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by swylie View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand the purpose of the taco bell media chamber when you could just toss all the media in there anyway, without the cup.
because you would need a water chamber and a media Chamber..

If you just toss media in there. water would go around the media.
But if you put the taco bell cup there. and stuff alot of media in there
there would be a hole on the bottom of the taco bell cup.

And the dirty water would be concentrated into that little hole that is stuff with media making a better Filter.

its the same as a canister .. The dirty water would have to pass through a level of media before reaching the impellers without escaping through the sides. This is what the cup serves. A concentrated media area that water is forced to go though

If these Succeeds this will be Almost The best DIY in my opinion
A mini homemade canister for nanos.The cups lip would serves as a Washer/oring type of thing

One month in.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Banned

awsome!!! i didnt understand from the first post but it looks like a great idea.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swylie View Post
Adding to frozenbarb... The taco bell cup media cup allows easy access to all your media you put in there that may need periodical cleaning and replacing.

But if you don't mind emptying the whole canister filter to grab the media then just do what you like.

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Could it be made as a trickle filter and not be water tight? Then you don't have to worry about the lid?
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It probably could be made like a trickle filter, but on previous DIY filters I've made I have put control valves on the siphon side so that I could stop the flow for cleaning etc., it seem to me that if you initially filled the jug with water and left the airline empty that when you started the pump and the siphon started that air that was in the line would be displaced and essentially sit in the top 1" or so of your filter. Almost all of the canister filters I've seen that have view ports have a little air at the top too.

The challenge of making it a trickle style filter is if the power goes out how do you stop the overflow unless you made mini overflow boxes to sit inside of your aquarium?

Current Project:
2.5 gal nano
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Banned

Seems like a great idea if it's watertight but it doesn't seem practical. A 1 gallon canister filter on a 2.5 gallon tank is overkill. How much do you overstock. The most you would need is a sponge filter if you don't have plants. That's like having a 22 gallon canister filter on a 55 gallon tank. The Rena XP3 holds about 3.5 gallons.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Banned

no that is not true. things do not correlate a 1:1 ratio between nanos and full size. people have 30 watt lights over 2.5gs and no one has near that much light on a 55. A sponge on a tank that size is ugly and takes up a lot of space. its very practacle to just put behind the tank on the same shelf or w/e...so anyways...

what would you seal the intake and output with? silicon? i dont know if silicon bonds with plasitc.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummyeah View Post
Seems like a great idea if it's watertight but it doesn't seem practical. A 1 gallon canister filter on a 2.5 gallon tank is overkill. How much do you overstock. The most you would need is a sponge filter if you don't have plants. That's like having a 22 gallon canister filter on a 55 gallon tank. The Rena XP3 holds about 3.5 gallons.
Would it make more sense for me to have a 24 inch fluorescent tube over a 10 gallon, and a 180 inch fluorescent tube over a 75 gallon tank?

Rena Filtstar #137!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode