DIY Stand for 50 Gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
DIY Stand for 50 Gal

Would a design like this hold up a 50 gallon aquarium? Construction is completely 2x6 boards. Dont want a center column because i want to have a shelf with a 10 gallon on it with a cabinet below. The pic below is of what the top would look like without the 1/2 plywood top. The black boxes are verticle 2x6 support boards.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
So, the 2X6s are the legs of the stand, too? I think it would hold the weight. Could you just add a 2X4 as a center brace to give it extra stability? It seems that you'd still have enough room underneath that way

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yup construction is all 2x6 except the shelf for the 10 gal and the top, I added some more pictures of what it would look like finished on the left and the structure itself on the right.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
It looks like it would be solid to me. Have you looked here to get another idea about a solid DIY stand?
http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php

Mike

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
without center column is too dangerous for me

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Algae Grower

That is an awful long span across the middle that does not have any support. The middle of that would only have to bow a tiny bit before bad things happen.

If you really really have to have this basic design to hold a 10g in the middle, here's what you can do. Bring the interior cabinet sides in as far as you can, leaving a minimal width to slide the 10g in. Next run a center support 2x6 the length so you have front, center, and back support along the length of the 55g. Then use no less than 3/4" plywood as the top.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpodolan View Post
It looks like it would be solid to me. Have you looked here to get another idea about a solid DIY stand?
http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php
holy mother of crap that website is awesome!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its a 50 gallon tank meaning the stand is 36.5" wide 18 deep and 30 high. so the farthest distance between the two 2x6 supports is roughly 20 inches...

If not counting the brace next to the 6 it would still only be a 24.5" span
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
There is no problem with your center span especially since you are using 2x6's. You also said that you were going to put a pieces of plywood on the top. This is also good because if you didn't all the weight of the tank would be on the nails or screws you used to attach the top frame to the supports. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the you don't have a lot of lateral, sideways, support. Front to back or left to right I would at the very least put a pieces of plywood that cover the whole back. Even better a piece that on both sides as well. These will prevent it from folding up like a card house. Doesn't have to be thick plywood since all the axial, downward, weight will be carried by the 2x6's. I'm just speaking from an bridge engineers stand point that is.

High Tech:
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I plan on putting up some type of sides and backing but first want to get the structural frame finalized. I over bought on 2x6 so i probably could make this thing a tank and use 2x6 boards for sides. New design with lateral braces soon to follow.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
Here is what I am working on for my 75 gallon. It is made entirely from 3/4" plywood. It will also include a double door covering the center section. Notice the beam so to speak across the 24" section. It is only 3 inches deep. Yours is going to be 5.5" deep across a shorter span.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75 Gallon Stand.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	4614  

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovenmit331 View Post
holy mother of crap that website is awesome!
Yeah, awesome website. I'm definately going to use that as a guide when I build my tank stand.
I also ordered a used book from Amazon yesterday called, "Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Woodworking" -- it looks pretty good and was less than $10 shipped b/c it was used.
I don't know jack about woodworking, nor do I even have a work bench, but I have a bunch of tools (miter box, skill saw, hammer drill, etc) that I've used very little or not at all. I guess I'd need to get a sawhorse and a workbench before attempting a project like this.

Looks like you have a good plan for your 50g, so keep us updated with pics, eh?

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint27 View Post
There is no problem with your center span especially since you are using 2x6's. You also said that you were going to put a pieces of plywood on the top. This is also good because if you didn't all the weight of the tank would be on the nails or screws you used to attach the top frame to the supports. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the you don't have a lot of lateral, sideways, support. Front to back or left to right I would at the very least put a pieces of plywood that cover the whole back. Even better a piece that on both sides as well. These will prevent it from folding up like a card house. Doesn't have to be thick plywood since all the axial, downward, weight will be carried by the 2x6's. I'm just speaking from an bridge engineers stand point that is.
I agree. I think your plan will work fine with addition of plywood to the back as saint suggests. This will sturdy it up immensely and keep things squared up.
It was mentioned how things can go bad if the tank doesnt have a level surface to sit on, the same can be said for the stand. A stand that isn't supported laterally can twist and collapse quite easily on an uneven floor. The extra bracing will help keep things solid and square even in a case where shims are needed to level the stand.
On a side note you could include some leveling feet into your stand just for such a situation.

Good luck

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroge View Post
That is an awful long span across the middle that does not have any support. The middle of that would only have to bow a tiny bit before bad things happen.
I agree that's a concern that far too many DIY stands ignore, but I think in this case, he's OK.

The weight of a glass tank is supported around its perimeter. For this tank let's estimate a loaded weight of 550 lbs., so the 20.5" span supports about 100 lbs or so. A unformed loaded beam of douglas fir 1.5" wide, 5.5" deep, 20.5" long will deflect 0.0004" with a 100 lb. load. The beam is this case should deflect less than that as the two ends are supported and fixeed over a distance.

Now the tank manufacturers do a disservice, in my opinion, by stating that their products must be placed on a flat, level surface, but failing to specify "how flat". Nothing can be perfect. Even so, I think in this case that a deflection of less than 0.0004" should be no problem.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoyPW5 View Post
Would a design like this hold up a 50 gallon aquarium? Construction is completely 2x6 boards. Dont want a center column because i want to have a shelf with a 10 gallon on it with a cabinet below. The pic below is of what the top would look like without the 1/2 plywood top. The black boxes are verticle 2x6 support boards.

wow this is a perfect example of what i'm hoping to build for myself. the only difference is that i have a 38G which has a 12" depth instead of 18". Did you get a chance on building it? any pictures of the finished product??? would luv to hear if there was any changes, if any, that you had to change...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode