DIY 27 watt CF retrofit - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY 27 watt CF retrofit

OK, so there's a certain 27 watt Compact Fluorescent desk lamp that can be procured from Home Depot for about $25. This lamp is quite popular with the nano crowd, as it is inexpensive, efficiant, easy to get, easy to setup, and stylish. Unfortuantely, I have cats, so an open top tank is not an option, so niether was this light. Then I realized I could get the benifits of this light and still use the custom hood I have on my 2.5 gallon nano... here's how.

So , I went out and picked up one of the aforementioned lamps, and compleatly dissasembled it to get the ballast, switch, and fixture out. It mostly involved taking lots of little philips screws out, with a little cutting/breaking of some of the small neck/collar pieces that could have only been removed by disconecting the wires otherwise, which I was trying to avoid since they were so well crimped/sealed. Then I just mounted the socket to an old Hamilton reflector I had lying around (with a zip-tie... yay ghetto!), and let the light shine, shine, shine! Here's some pics of the finished product (sorry, no in-progress shots, as I was too busy making progress to shoot pics).

Anyway, it worked like a charm, so I though I'd mention it in case anyone else was in my situation.

-Jared

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j_m_lizard; 10-28-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
What tank size do you use that on? These bulbs are not extremely efficient, the four tubes are so close to each other that you get a lot of restrike, say compared to a single or PC bulb. Nice solution though, for a smaller tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
...What tank size do you use that on?
From my original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_m_lizard View Post
Then I realized I could get the benifits of this light and still use the custom hood I have on my 2.5 gallon nano... here's how.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
...These bulbs are not extremely efficient, the four tubes are so close to each other that you get a lot of restrike, say compared to a single or PC bulb. Nice solution though, for a smaller tank.
as for efficiency, these are not perfect, but when used with a good reflector, like this Hamilton, they are certainly more efficient than the spiral CFs many nano-aquarists use.

-Jared

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Sorry, missed the size. Great solution, thanks for sharing!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 05:49 AM
Algae Grower

Ah, but can you use it as a desk lamp?... jk

Current Project:
2.5 gal nano
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lol
It was from those Hamilton Bay desk lamp things... I have the same desk lamp (I can tell by the switch)...
But I am not sure if they changed brand names or something, mine was from Hamilton Bay though. Nice and cheap, simple plastic lamp.

Rena Filtstar #137!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode