Coralife Limewood diffuser switch over..... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Coralife Limewood diffuser switch over.....

Picked up 2 last week after wanting to try for a while to see how well it works but was too lazy to make the switch over. After reading the this [thread I decided to switch over this morning.

Here are some pic's taken of the diffuser with a Rhinox suction cup....'thx for the suction cup idea jaidexl'

Here is a pic of the Rhinox taken yesterday. Bubble production is low after the as it is that time when it it needs to be refreshed...

So I had made a fresh bottle of DIY brew to add on this morning but before I added it on I wanted to see the difference the pressure had on the bubble production on my 2 week old Diy mix.....DC is now Teal 'ish color not the lime green I try to maintain

Ok so a fresh bottle was made but before I added it on I wanted to see the performance of the CF Limewood diffuser and the difference the restriction had on bubble production.......

Wow! as you can see it went up by at least 80% from what is was before making the switch and maintaining! From the looks of it it seems I have maybe another 1 ~ 2 weeks of production left....sweet!

Definitely the way to go with DIY and happy I made the switch!

I added the second bottle on because I didn't want to waste the brew so I'll definitely have to increase surface agitation using more flow from the HOB filter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 04:57 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Coincidentally, I was reading about this last night. Go to this link

http://www.barrreport.com/general-pl...light=limewood

where Tom Barr talks about sanding them when they are dry to prolong use.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
welcome to the enlightened side mrkookm.

I guess tom has already answered the question in the other thread about prolonging the lifespan of the wood.

Nice link !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
Have you had any problems with larger bubbles coming out of the screw hole? That is a great idea and I'd like to implement it but wonder if the CO2 would choose the path of least resistance and escape in large quantities through that hole...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
welcome to the enlightened side mrkookm.
Good to be here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digsy
Have you had any problems with larger bubbles coming out of the screw hole? That is a great idea and I'd like to implement it but wonder if the CO2 would choose the path of least resistance and escape in large quantities through that hole...[
The Limewood does not have the anything close to the resistance of a glass diffuser so it will always exit the wood where it supposed to because of this lack of resistance. Even if it had such a resistance the way I did it would have prevented it I'm sure.

I drilled a smaller hole and used a 8/32 x " machine screw because of its the fine tread so while I was screwing it in it gave me quite a fair amount of resistance as I was making the treads. The finished setup had no bubbles passing by the treads, the 8/32 screw head size is the perfect fit for the Rhinox suction cup and sits in tight with no wiggle at all. Go for it!

The Junkie

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode