T5 retro kit as pendant fixture - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
T5 retro kit as pendant fixture

this is an idea that i have meant to pursue and i wonder if anybody has tried this(?).

i don't have any experience with retro kits (can you recommend a good one?), but the general idea would be to cut a rectangular piece of nice birch plywood to same dimensions as top reflector surface, finish the wood, mount it, then affix screw eyes so that the whole thing can hung from chain or wire.

i think that you could end up with a nice "architectural" look and a relatively cheap fixture. you would have some normally concealed components, such as wires and maybe the ballast, in view, but i sort of like being able to see some of the hardware.

if you have used kits under hoods you might be able to comment(?). any other opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I wanted to do this, but it would take too much time, effort, and money, so I think I will opt for a regular canopy.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

what? if i understand the way that those kits are put together, it should be extremely easy to assemble what i describe, much more simple than building a whole canopy. all it would require would be a single strip of wood, two wood screws and two screw-eyes.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
I think it's a pretty cool idea. I'd say go for it, and be sure to post pictures !!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

can you see any pptential problems with this idea? one thing i wonder about is the angle of light deflection from those fixtures. would i be able to hang it a few inches above the tank rim without shining lots of light on the wall behind or into the viewer's eyes?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
I'd think the reflectors would be deep enough to keep the light out of your eyes, but you may have deflection on your walls, I do on mine.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

......and what about models? does anybody have a favorite?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

this is a bump. does anybody have a favorite T5 retrofit fixture?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think the problem is hanging them. Either a bar over the tank, or from the ceiling, both are a hassle.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607
I did this for my 90, My 48"x18" "fixture" houses 2x150 DE 8k MH bulbs, and 2x55 watt ahsupply pc setups, and a 13 watt red bulb. Its a fun project and looks nice. I would consider fans if youre making alot of heat.

My hanging device consists of two wrought Iron shepards hooks - with the stablizing bars removed. I then mounted two U shaped peices of aluminum to the back of my stand with three holes in it - that match up to holes drilled in the hooks. I push the hooks into the alum. Insert cotter pins and bend. They look nice and hold alot of weight. You could make some nice looking wood arms to go up the back of the tank.

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Algae Grower

i've made one for my 60" long. basically just 4 T8 tubes accross the entire length of the tank. (JBL solar nature, sera plant color and 2 arcadia freshwater)

basically used a skelleton frame approach. used jewel reflectors. ballasts mounted externally. got a total of 6 120mm fans above it to cool both the light fixture and my aquarium.

hanging the fixture from a pole that spans lengthwise above the aqaurium.

well its not perfect.

-quite abit of light exits from the sides (fixing "curtains" to minimise glare)
-it looks very messy (wires slithering all over the pole and fixture)
-its not pretty (a combination of craft wood, greyish anodised alluminium and white hooks that are usually nailed to walls)

however,
+maintanence is really easy, (i dun bother to raise the thing, just tilt it like a see saw so my arms fit in)
+the tubes are hot, but the fan's make my reflectors cool to the touch, and helps reduce the water temp by about 1-2deg.
+great sense of acomplishment when its done and working well. (best feeling in the world)

hope that helps. =)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

any pictures?

like i said, i considered just hanging from ceiling, not hooks.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
best T5 retrofit kits would IceCap SLR Retrofit kits. Last time I checked ReefGeek has the best prices (note though that your choice of bulbs are included in the price of the kit)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode