DIY Pressurized Co2 (with a sketch!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Pressurized Co2 (with a sketch!)

Hy I am so close to purchasing all the parts necessary to construct the co2 system, but I have a few questions.

How is my setup so far?
5lb co2 cylinder-$34.75
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...tml#tabcontent $36.95
Home Depot needle valve-$3
DIY bubble counter-FREE!
DIY Reactor-$8

How do I connect the needle valve to the regulator if the hose diameters are different?

BTW why can't you upload bitmaps and why aren't tiffs enabled?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	co2 sketch.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	4414  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It looks like you can upload bitmaps, but you shouldn't. Anything is better than a bitmap; bitmaps suck. Tiffs are better as long as compression is enabled, yes. Tiff isn't a web format, though; I don't think that either Internet Explorer or Firefox support it. For non-photographic images, use either GIF or PNG, both are losslessly compressed and supported ok in IE and firefox, and both of which can apparently be uploaded to this board.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
With that setup, you'll need an in-line needle valve. And with that said, you should get something better than and needle valve at Home Depot. At LEAST a Clippard...maybe Swagelok?

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well I referred to http://www.dlink.org/aqua/CO2.html. "If someone says you can't adjust bubble rate with this "cheapo" needle valve, it's not true. I can make few bubbles a minute to million bubbles a minute." He says the needle valve works great.

PNG was switched to JPEG when I uploaded and GIF takes away color on paint.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think this will end up being any cheaper than a Milwaukee unit, unless you already have the parts that is.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
from the same site:
"My regulator output pressure set at 10-12 psi. I was told that if you go below that range the regulator may not "regulate" properly. I found that if it is more than 12psi I cannot control my needle valve."

Seems like a very narrow window. The reason is that that needle valve is not made to be that precise. The million of bubbles is easy, you don't need a valve for that. It's when you want 1 bubbles per sec you might have problems.

I'm interested to see how this will work out (and hope it does for you).
Granted you are running yours to a bubble ladder, so working pressure shouldn't be an issue, but if you ever go with an inline reactor, you might not be able to control it. I have had mine set anywhere from 35 PSI to 40 PSI.

You are going to need an adapter to go between the two sizes, They should have them in nylon (plastic) in the same are of you home improvement store.

Oh, and don't forget the check valve so you're regulator doesn't get ruined if water flows up the line.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Last edited by tazcrash69; 10-12-2007 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added info, and correction
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well if I need to get a better needle valve I will, but I want it to be a maximum of $10. Where would I even get a needle valve besides ebay?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Alright I can also get an Imperial Eastman for $8-10, is that good? Also where do I get the check valves, brass not regular plastic right?
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Wow so 141 views and only 4 responses. Thanks to all that responded and to the rest of you all THANKS A LOT FOR NOTHIN'! What's wrong with this forum, I'm heading over to Aquaria Central.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You are much better off to spend money correctly the first time than waste money on half assed solutions.

I have a couple of those inexpensive Home Depot needle valves floating around here somewhere. Never could get them adjusted or get them to hold a constant bubble rate. Oh and they both leaked too.

I highly doubt you are going to find a quality needle valve for $10. If you have a Clippard distributor close by you can get decent valve for about $12. But you will also need hose barbs for it which is another $4. And to adjust the tubing sizes? Well there are lots of ways of doing that. Just depends on how much you want to spend and what your comfort level is when it comes to building things.

You think you will get more activity on another forum? I doubt it.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ummyeah View Post
Wow so 141 views and only 4 responses. Thanks to all that responded and to the rest of you all THANKS A LOT FOR NOTHIN'! What's wrong with this forum, I'm heading over to Aquaria Central.
Some people view threads to learn things, like myself for instance. If every knucklehead that read this thread put in their two cents, you'd probably have a lot of conflicting info. I don't know much about pressurized systems, so I have previously kept my trap shut.

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
Some people view threads to learn things, like myself for instance. If every knucklehead that read this thread put in their two cents, you'd probably have a lot of conflicting info. I don't know much about pressurized systems, so I have previously kept my trap shut.
Ditto. Not everyone knows about a pressurized system. As for me? Mine took a 800PSI leak out the regulator nut.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
You are much better off to spend money correctly the first time than waste money on half assed solutions.

I highly doubt you are going to find a quality needle valve for $10. If you have a Clippard distributor close by you can get decent valve for about $12. But you will also need hose barbs for it which is another $4.
Well Rex $12 is not far off from $10. Have you even tried Imperial Eastman, I sure haven't and obviously you didn't either. I learned the hard way in not going cheap because you do pay later but there are always better deals. The fact that someone got that $3 valve to work just shows you don't need to spend $30 on a needle valve to get it to work. Is that the only bad thing? Seriously, because all of this is in NO OFFENSE. I don't want to make anyone upset. Oh and where can I find how to correctly connect the needle valve? You know, if it needs hose barbs or not. I'M AM IN NO WAY DOUBTING REX GRIGG'S QUALITY.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Here are some Imperial Eastman needle valves off ebay.
Attached Images

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
A brand name alone means nothing. You need a model number and the ability to read the specifications and see if the valve is suitable for our use.

Most needle valves used in industrial controls are actually not suited to the very low flow rates we use in our aquariums.

You must have missed where I said I had a couple of those very same needle valves floating around here somewhere. The article you linked to is extremely old. That guy paid $113 for a regulator alone. I sell a regulator, needle valve, check valve, tubing and perma seal for that now.

And I love this statement:

Quote:
I found that if it is more than 12psi I cannot control my needle valve.
That right there tells me it's a fish killer. Because when that cylinder gets low the pressure in the regulator will go up at a minimum of double. That's End of Tank Dump.

But they are your fish and it's your money. I condsider $10-$20 spent on a better needle valve VERY cheap insurance.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode