diy pre-filter for shrimp nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
diy pre-filter for shrimp nano

i could not find a pre-filter for my red sea art deco nano filter to stop rcs from being sucked into the intake.

after not really caring too much for a month or so, i stumbled onto a aqua clear 30 foam filter insert at a chain pet store this sunday. i also thought that this type of media would be great for harboring extra beneficial bacteria as the tank and filter have allot less surface area for the bacteria then even my eclipse 12.

cut it in half with some scissors and trimmed it down to a cylinder that would be more pleasing (if thats possible) aestheticaly in the tank.

here is how it looks. not the best but the best i could think of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
I use the same products on my tanks. They do a good job, but clog pretty quickly if the tank is heavily planted.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

this red sea filter is no rena for sure as far as flow capacity. i thought that the filter density was a good trade off for flow and shrimp safety. i do have a pre filter on my 12g eclipse i got off of aqua bid that is more sponge like and that sucker clogs like no other.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Just a heads up. It'll keep the adults out. But you'll still find juveniles in the filter when you clean it .

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

they are quite mischevious!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode