One Two Liter enough? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
One Two Liter enough?

Hi

I was wondering if I could get some advice. I currently have a DIY two liter CO2 running in my 20 gallon high. Is that sufficient?

I also have a question about the Yeast packets ... I was under the impression that once you opened the packet it had to be discarded is this correct? if not how do you store it and for how long can you do so.

Dan

20 Gallon High
A H 55 Watt 6700 k Bulb
EHEIM 2215
50 Watt Heater
Hagen ladder - DIY 2 liter
Eco complete(2 bag)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
first off you will have to give us more info on if one pop bttle is enough co2. you need to test your water to see how much co2 is getting into the water colum. there is a couple methods you can read up on here on the co2 chart or get a drop checker from one of the members here selling them.

Its been a while since ive done diy co2 but i remember most people stored their yeast in the fridge or the freezer once opened. And im pretty sure they went with ones from a jar and not individual packets.

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
I have 1 2L bottle connected to a R5K on my 20g and I have no problem maintaining Co2...even with a HOB filter.

To store yeast put it in a dark airtight container and put it in the fridge.

The Junkie

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
I'm just going to give you my own first hand experience answer,
because no matter what I say, someone here's going to pontificate.

a 2L is fine for about 2 weeks of Co2 in a 20gal tank.
I use a pint, 2 cups or pound of sugar per 2L batch.

I only use 1/4 teaspoon at a time from a yeast packet,
I store the rest in a dry cool cabinet where it stays viable
for Months. since I replace my brew every 2 weeks I
end up using a whole packet per 6-8 weeks. using more
yeast per 2L batch only hastens the beginning of yeast
production, it does not increase it's length of production.

you will read about people who use the same yeast over again.
this is only possible if you time your sugar water replacement
BEFORE Co2 production noticeably decreases, when the yeast
are starting to die from the alcohol toxicity.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
For a 20g tank, I'd probably go with two bottles. But get a drop checker and use it to see if you're getting close the optimal amount of CO2.

I used the individual yeast packets and I know quite a few other people on here do too since I got recommendations on which ones to use. The best type is the champagne yeast...and yes, I keep it in the fridge after the packet is open.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

I wouldn't recommend 2 because my DC stays yellow for the first week and thats with a HOB filter. My batch lasts for 2weeks before I see a need to change.

The Junkie
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
i have 2l and 3l soda bottles on my 29g. these two are plumbed into my xp2, they last about a month if not longer between changes.

my .02

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
"Drop Checker" ? That is the first tie I've seen that term. Could anyone explain what it is?

20 Gallon High
A H 55 Watt 6700 k Bulb
EHEIM 2215
50 Watt Heater
Hagen ladder - DIY 2 liter
Eco complete(2 bag)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds11375 View Post
"Drop Checker" ? That is the first tie I've seen that term. Could anyone explain what it is?
See here for more info. Another excellent site with a wealth of information and a must have in your favorites/bookmarks.

The Junkie

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode