Non-Inline external CO2 Reactor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Non-Inline external CO2 Reactor

Hello, I dont have a canister so inline is out of the question...for now at least. I am going to get a pressurized CO2 setup in a few weeks and have been trying to figure this out. I dont like the idea of have a big ugly tube in the tank, but I can easily hide a small pond pump with my floating plants. All plumbing will be pvc. I hope you can make out the design from the drawing. I had to point the return and pump in opposite directions for clarity in the drawing let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp non inline.bmp (241.1 KB, 107 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 03:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to slickwillislim
It should work fine. I have seen people do this with flex hosing in the past.(pump-flex-pvc reactor-flex-output).

What size pump where you using, what size tank, what size reactor. Thats whats going to determine whether this is an effective reactor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

its a mag-drive 1.5 I think thats a 150 gph, 29 gallon tank, reactor will most likely be about 8 inches tall or so, made of 1.5 or 2 inch pvc. What do you think? Gph from pump seems like it might be a little on the low side now that I think of it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to vidiots Send a message via Yahoo to vidiots
My current setup is similar, the only difference is that the entire thing is located inside my sump tank so it is also out of sight. My only concern with that type of setup would be the possible noise level. I hate bubbling noises, so I'd be curious to know if it makes any sounds at all when you get it running. If there is no sound I might move mine out of the sump and put it inline to make more room for other things.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Send a message via MSN to esarkipato
Looks like your design would work just fine. However, I would seriously consider putting the money spent on the pump and the time spent on the DIY and just go with microbubbles. On a 29g tank it's not all that hard to reach high co2 concentrations just using a good passive diffuser. I think "aquaticmagic" has some well-reviewed ones for sale, on ebay even. JMO.

-Ernie

: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

MY RENA FILSTAR XP3 PIMPS ME! (#67)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

has anyone tried using wood airstones, like the ones used in saltwater protien skimmers? they put out alot of micro bubbles

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode