Just purchased a regulator... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Just purchased a regulator...

I just purchased a CO2/Argon regulator. I am pretty clueless with all the CO2 stuff though, so I have a few questions. I removed the pipe nipple that the hose barb attaches too from the regulator as is suggested on rex's website. Upon removal I notice this nipple is around 1/2" not a 1/4" and the end that goes into the regulator is completely closed except for a small pin hole. This brings me to my first question. Can I still use this regulator with the appropriate reducers, or is it too big? I also notice that the one gauge that measures the flow is in CFH, witch I am not really familiar with. Can I just get a different gauge?

Help! I am clueless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The port is a 1/4" NPT port. See this chart to clarify it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well Rex I looked at the chart and I am still not sure I understand and I kinda feel stupid...

With the regulator I purchased the O.D of the nipple is 1/2" while the I.D. is indeed 1/4". Looking at your web site I was under the impression the reducer you used to mate with the port on the regulator was 1/4" O.D. and an 1/8" I.D. Am I totally lost here, or am I going to need a 1/2"-1/4" reducer followed by another 1/4"-1/8" reducer in order to use the 1/8" pipe nipple? I don't really care if I have to add two reducers instead of only one, but I wasn't sure if it is ok to do.

I am sorry, I wish I could explain this more clearly, or show some pictures of my regulator.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to vidiots Send a message via Yahoo to vidiots
Don't feel bad, when it comes to tubing and plumbing it can get very confusing as to when they are talking about I.D. or O.D. because they don't always specify and just assume your application is the same as theirs. When it comes to NPT threads they are refering to the inside diameter of the pipe the threaded end is intended to mate with, and the O.D. of a 1/4" NPT thread is about 1/2". You can buy connectors that have 1/4" NPT on one side and a barbed connector on the other side that will fit most any size I.D. tubing. Most places that sell plumbing supplies will have these type of connectors. What I often do is take the old fitting with me to Home Depot and a short piece of the tubing and look for a connector what will connect one to the other. This way you have them with you to compare, or to show someone else who offers to help you.

As for your flow rate gauge, it is fairly useless and unnecessary for our application as your flow rate will probably be way too low to even register on it which is why most hobbiests measure their flow rate in bubbles per minute which is not terribly exact, but it doesn't need to be an exact accurate measurement just a consistant one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
A 1/4" NPT port is just over 1/2" in diameter.

As stated by vidiots you can't simply measure ID and/or OD and know the thread size......unless you are familiar with NPT sizes. A 1/2" NPT port is 0.84"

I use a 1/4 to 1/8 reduction nipple on my regulator builds now. Saves time and eliminates a potential leak. I used to use a 1/4 to 1/8 bushing and then a 1/8 hex nipple.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode