DIY Pressurized paintball Co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Pressurized paintball Co2

Hi,
I decided to build my new co2 system for my nano.I have a 20oz Co2 paintball tank, but im not sure what regulator or what peices i need to make it fit on a regulator. Can anyone help me?

Also ill be using the ADA mini pollen diffuser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Nano,

I got one of these...http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Sea-CO2-Pro-...QQcmdZViewItem

I thought it was the way to go but the 20 0z tank was just too little for a 55Gal high light setup... went to a local paintball store and got the conversion for a 10 lb bottle...

I would recommend a visit to your local paintball store. They will have everything you will need to set yours up.(regulators for paintball tanks) You may have to go and find a silonoid for your setup however. Thats one reason why I went with Redsea... just easier for the beginning C02 novice. I won't do it again.. I'll peice together my next setup. Hope this helps.

P.S. I ditched the bubble counter and the defuser that came with the redsea kit....(crap)

Troy

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hey thanks for the link, I just bought the red sea regulator for paintball tanks, but not the PRO version.

I wont have a selenoid because the cost is too much for my little nano, already costed me 215$ or so for the setup (regulator,co2 tubing,ADA nano diffuser) Do i need anything else to make it work? like any types of connector for the tubing??

I went to fill my bottle at action500 here in Montreal, costed 8.00$ for a 20oz tank!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ill post pics of the setup when everything arrives.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 03:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Nano,

The only other thing I can think of is that you will have to decide on your on/off times....if you don't run it 24/7 then It will have to become part of your morning chores. Like turn it on when you power up the lights in the AM or when you feed the fish first thing and then turn it off when lights out...You'll have to get a base ppm set up and fine tune it from there. Good luck

Troy

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by susantroy1 View Post
Nano,

The only other thing I can think of is that you will have to decide on your on/off times....if you don't run it 24/7 then It will have to become part of your morning chores. Like turn it on when you power up the lights in the AM or when you feed the fish first thing and then turn it off when lights out...You'll have to get a base ppm set up and fine tune it from there. Good luck

Troy
i have a timer lol.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to garuf
keep me posted on this! Im in the uk and about to start a nano and have 2 paint ball 20oz lying about that would work admirably for this.
what did you end up buying how much and where from?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by garuf View Post
keep me posted on this! Im in the uk and about to start a nano and have 2 paint ball 20oz lying about that would work admirably for this.
what did you end up buying how much and where from?
I bought the Red Sea regulator for paintball tanks, not the PRO version.
Link: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~RS2317.html

I also bought a ADA mini polen glass diffuser, link:
http://www.adgshop.com/Pollen_Glass_Mini_p/102-1012.htm

And finaly, I bought some Co2 resistant tubing.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 04:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano-Nater View Post
i have a timer lol.
But you said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano-Nater View Post

I wont have a selenoid because the cost is too much for my little nano, already costed me 215$ or so for the setup (regulator,co2 tubing,ADA nano diffuser)
The timer is usually hooked up to the solenoid to turn it off and on. Unless you do it manually. The only other method that works somewhat well if you cant shut your co2 off is to run it into a powered reactor like the barr internal venturi reactor where you have the powerhead on the timer so it shuts off at night and excess co2 just burbs to the surface. However, many run co2 24x7 w/o problems anyhow, just depends on your setup.

~Tristan
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'm assuming he means timer for the light right?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay order will arrive tomorow ill post up pics of shipment and the equip.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

k i received the nano diffuser from ADA yesterday, on monday i will get the regulator and tubing

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Please keep this thread going. I would like to see what your long term feelings about the paintball co2 are. I have heard a lot of people say that they don't like it for normal tanks, but for a nano it might not be that bad.

Keep us posted!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do not worrie, i will update this thread tomorow with pics of the setup

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (63/100%)
Send a message via MSN to PRESTON4479
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
Please keep this thread going. I would like to see what your long term feelings about the paintball co2 are. I have heard a lot of people say that they don't like it for normal tanks, but for a nano it might not be that bad.

Keep us posted!

I use the paintball setup on my 55g and really like it. I have 2- 20oz tanks and 1- 24oz tank for it. Each tank probably lasts 2-3 weeks. So I probably go to get them filled every month and a half or so. If your going to use it on a large tank you definitely should get spare bottles. But it works great and is easy to hide.

Brian

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode