55 Gal. Bowfront Canopy (spy pics added!!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
55 Gal. Bowfront Canopy (spy pics added!!)

After deciding to up the ante and just buy another AH fixture for the canopy we had to wait a week for it to get here.

In the meantime hubby constructed the canopy using gorgeous oak we bought at Home Depot. Yes, it was expensive, but the finished product was well worth the $$$.

I was not allowed in the garage with a camera during the construction of the canopy. Hubby wasn't giving away any of his secrets... However, I can tell you that creating the bowfront involved cutting numerous "steps" that were shaped like rainbows that were then nailed together receding back 1/2" at a time. Then he made vents across the top of the entire canopy using 1/2" pieces of leftover wood spaced 1" apart before putting on the top. It is very spiffy looking.

Today he set about putting the guts in the thing and I snapped a few photos during the process. Inside are 2x55's and 1x96, at the back there are 2x80mm fans drawing air out of the canopy and through the vents in front. He trimmed the ends off of the 96's reflector to allow room for the fans and for hoses/wires/tubing. I wasn't happy about him mauling the reflector, but apparently it was what had to be done.

Here are some pics of the inside & back of the canopy. I'll post a couple more of the top/front of it when it's on the tank.

Eheim Pimp # 262

55 Gal bowfront: Heavily Planted & Stocked w/ Rena Filstar XP3, Jager 250w, AH Supply 2x55 & 1x96, Flourite substrate, Red Sea CO2 system w/ 20# tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Gallon Eclipse planted w/ Shellies!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My fishtank ate my quarter fund...

Last edited by JennysPlanties; 10-13-2007 at 06:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So he wired it all together. Lights worked. Hooray. Then he tried to wire in the fans I bought from Circuit City. All did not go as planned. One blew up (literally!) the other smoked... Hmmmmm
Anyone have any ideas how to wire in computer fans to an AH supply setup? The computer fans are DC12V and hubby thinks this is the problem and we're going to have to somehow convert the current. Has anyone wired computer fans into their canopy and know how to do it?

Eheim Pimp # 262

55 Gal bowfront: Heavily Planted & Stocked w/ Rena Filstar XP3, Jager 250w, AH Supply 2x55 & 1x96, Flourite substrate, Red Sea CO2 system w/ 20# tank

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
From my experience with fans that run DC:

Find a DC adaptor that runs 12V DC and try to match the mah to what the fans are rated for. If you stay a little below what the fans are rated for you will be in good shape (i.e. If the fans are rated for 1200 mah then it should be ok to go with a DC adaptor that runs at 1000 mah) The fans just won't get as much power to them.

I have done something similar with blower motors and my canopy. FYI: In the end I didn't run them because there was no need.

One more thing I would consider is having a fan to blow in and one to blow out (or both to blow out). You are just trying to vent the heat out of the hood. If you have both blowing in you might cause the evaporation rate to go through the roof.

You might want to try things without the fans just to see what it is like. You might not even need them (like me).

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Actually, if you tell me how much the fans are rated for, I might be able to hook you up with a DC adaptor. Just send me enough for shipping and waive me of any liability from the whole thing.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry, one more thing... Please flip the canopy over and take pictures or put it on the tank and take pictures. I am dieing to see it in action. Looking at the inside of it though, it looks like it is going to be a sweet setup. You should have no problem growing algae.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Ouch! I do not even want to know how much the lumber for that hood cost. The top piece for my mantel (one board) was $40!

What I can see really looks good. Can't wait to see it on the actual tank.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
looks like some really nice woodwork. I guess you got a handy hubby !!!

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
re fans

Beautiful hood!
As to the fans, mah Does Not Matter.
Most 12 v fans will be around 200-300mah.
If you power a fan that is rated at 300mah with more than 300 no difference. Less than just means it will run slower and possibly cause the transformer adapter to overheat.

Please note the fans blew up because they are 12 VOLT fans not 120VOLT .
Just go buy some cheap computer fans for 5 bucks and one 12V adapter to power both of them.
Cheers
Botia

15 tall
with pressurized c02 jebo 828 , 9w turbotwist uv. up-aqua co2 atomizer16/22
& small yoyo and striata loaches and praecox rainbows.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

After taking another look at your setup, I would definately try running the lights without the fans. The ballasts are going to produce the most heat, and since you are not placing them inside the canopy, you might not have that much of a heat issue. I have run a 130W coralife fixture inside my canopy for years and the heat buildup doesn't really affect the tank too much. The only differences between my setup and yours is that my canopy is smaller (29 Gal) and I don't have a 1x96 fixture.

I would seriously give it a shot without the fans.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

At your advice we're going to pull the fans out of the hood (they're fried anyway, lol) and see if we can run it without them. One less thing to worry about.

Tonight when we get back from dinner we're going to put that bad boy on the tank and fire it up.... so pics will be up sometime soon, I promise.
The hood is absolutely gorgeous and I'm very lucky to have a gen. contractor for a hubby, because it is seriously out of this world. He did a great job with it and he's not even into fish. LoL

And yes, the damn oak for the thing cost $110. OUCH!!! Thank goodness I didn't have to pay for labor... he's probably got about 20 hours into the thing at this point!!

Eheim Pimp # 262

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I am interested to see the whole thing. You should ask him if he might be interested in building stands / canopies for some extra cash. As good as a job as he did on that I would be interested. I love the stand and matching canopy look, and for that reason I woudn't generally consider a bowfront tank. As good as that looks though, I would consider a bowfront now especially if I could have someone construct one that looks as good as that one.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hubby says thanx for the compliments!

Here are some pics of it on the floor. He went to the garage to get better wire crimpers to finish up the wiring (we left the wires long last night until we decided what to do about the fans) and has been there for a while... I'm assuming he's bs'ing w/ his brother. LoL

He didn't make the stand we've got it on right now, it's the stand that came w/ the tank from a previous owner. I'm sure he could have constructed something equally as fabulous (well, probably more fabulous, the stand isn't real oak like the canopy) should we have needed one though.

He'll be making the stand and canopy for the other 55 gal someone just gave us, but it won't be anything difficult like this one since it's a standard rectangle. (boooring. but free!)

Hubby's always up for making extra money, who isnt? LoL He actually enjoys doing stuff like this, it's what he was built to do I guess. If there was something specific you had in mind, let me know and I'll ask him what he thinks.

Eheim Pimp # 262

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Finished product on the tank and operational. I LOVE THIS THING!!!!!

I can turn off the 55's and keep the 96 on with the front of the hood open and be able to see what I'm doing in the tank while working on it and not worry about burning myself on a light. The whole entire tank is 100% accessible with the hood open. I have to say it, my hubby rocks!

Eheim Pimp # 262

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't think you have enough light... ha ha ha.

One question though... How did you manage to fit the Sun in your canopy?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi,
Nice work. Seems like that might be a bit heavy, but look real good and should last forever.

If you go through a whole day without learning something new. You wasted it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode