Buffing up a knockdown stand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Pia
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Buffing up a knockdown stand?

Hello all.

When I set up my 75g a couple years ago, I put it on one of those knockdown stands from Petsmart. Since then, the simple construction and thin walls of the stand have made me a bit nervous. Especially when I'm sticking my head and upper body inside of it to mess with the stuff after hearing some horror stories about this type of stand collapsing.

I'll be moving in the next few weeks and I'd rather not buy a whole new stand simply because we're already buying a house and new furniture and this stand is still in pretty good condition considering. If possible, I'd like to take the opportunity of the tank being off it to just buff it up a bit.

Has anyone done anything like this before? The stand doesn't have a back wall but I figured I could reinforce both sides, the center brace, and the top with some sturdy 2x4s or something. But I'm not sure if drilling/screwing into the MDF to attach the beams would actually make it flimsier or something. Or how to hide screws on the outside of the stand. Of course, visible screws are a tiny price to pay for piece of mind.

Thanks so much for any comments/suggestions.

75 gallon Angelfish tank - 3WPG - Rena XP3 - 100% Flourite - Pressurized CO2 - Reactor 1000 - SMS122 PH Controller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm not sure whether I've ever seen the kind of stand you're describing, so my advice is worth what you paid for it. That said, there's always glue. A glue job, well done, can be much stronger than screws.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
totally Add some bracing to it.
What you can do is get some metal brackets and apply those to the outer corners. you can also take some 1x1 pieces of wood and cut them to size and use some heavy duty construction adhesive to them and install them in the inner corners.
and as you had mentioned you can add an additional bracing to the center to support the middle of the tank.

If you wind up using screws i'd go from the outside in so you don't have any sharp points sticking thru the outside of the tank if the screws are slightly too long. But you might also want to predrill your holes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 20 gal journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6Gal Nano Journal

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Banned

with screws I would reccomend pre drilling the holes then squirting some gorrila glue or somthing in there and then putting the screws in there
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to vidiots Send a message via Yahoo to vidiots
I've done this by fitting 2x4 braces inside the stand and using screws to attach them to the stand and to each other. The metal brackets mentioned above would further reinforce it. I once did this to a cheap particle board microwave cart to convert it to a tank stand. If you carefully plan it out all of your reinforcements can be hidden inside out of site. When I was done with that microwave cart I could jump up and down on it without doing any damage, where as I would have crushed it had I tried that before reinforcing.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All I did was get my dad to cut 2x2s to EXACTLY the height of the inside of the stand, and then wedge them into place in various points: 4 in each corner, two in the back against the backboard, and one at the front behind the middle of the two doors. We didn't screw it in or fasten it, just let the pressure hold it in. Of course, if your tank was rimless, you would need supports on the middle. The tank I had, had a rim/frame, so only the edges needed to be supported.

Rena Filtstar #137!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode