substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
substrate?

I did a few searches, and I'm sure there is an answer out there just couldn't find it. Is there a cheap substrate, like a subsitute for flourite that will carry the same benefits. I'm starting a planted tank on a budget and really need to find a solution. thanks Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Soilmaster Select is really cheap. It isn't a rich substrate like flourite, but many people grow plants very well with it. I have a tank with Schultz aquatic plant soil, and it is doing well also. You don't need a rich substrate necessarily. Plants can take nutrients in through the leaves. Also, the two substrates that I mentioned can absorb nutrients, so they become enriched this way. Hope this helps

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
it seems as if there are alternatives, but i'm better off choking up the extra cash for the fluorite...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
I also use flourite, and I like it. If you want to spend the cash, it's a good option. Just not necessary to have a nice tank

Mike

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 03:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to p3purr
I'm looking for good, cheap substrate too. I've heard a lot of people use regular topsoil but I'm leaving that to people more experianced at aquascaping. I'd like to go with black for my main tank if not all 3 of them. I have 2 bags of eco complete just waiting for me to switch over to a planted tank but I need something else and I've already spent more than I wanted to on tanks.

I tried to get Soilmaster Select but have to drive 140 miles round trip for it and the only reason they had it was because someone else bought some for an aquarium and decided not to take 2 bags.

From what I understand Turface is pretty much the same. I'm looking at that and or Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil. I need to find out if either or both are available locally.

Patricia

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode