want simple DIY stand plan - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to p3purr
want simple DIY stand plan

I'm wanting to make a DI stand that will hold a 30 Gallon (36x13) on the top and a 20 Long on the bottom. I remember those stands that were around about 10-15 year ago that were 2 rectangles and 4 posts made up of 2x4's. Really simple but I just don't know the best way to make the joints.

If anyone has any up close pics or drawings of good solids joints I'd appreciate it. Plans would be awesome too. I have some tools and limited access to lots of other woodworking tools, just not much experience using them.

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 04:18 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
It is very easy to make a stand! I made a freestanding one for 6 20gallon long tanks for 70 bucks and 3 hrs (with two people)

this is what you can do

bottom- 3 cinderblocks, evenly spaced as wide as you want the stand to be (If i did this over I would raise the bottom shelf up more by stacking the bottom layer of cinderblock 2 high, not one) then lay 3 2x4s across the blocks. The cindeblocks should be so that the hollow part make shelves, not a tube in the center ( if you look at a cinderblock you will know what I mean

then stack 3 cinder blocks on each end, and lay more 2x4s, and DONE!

IF you want it to look good ( i didnt) then you can paint everything black, or put fabric around the cinderblocks to hide them. it looks fine as is though!

if you need mroe info just pm me
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 04:28 AM
Banned

By eon17 at 2007-09-26

EXTRA NOTE- NO GROUT IS NEEDED! THE WEIGHT OF THE TANK KEePS IT STURDY! ONCE I FELL INTO MINE AND IT DIDNT BUDGE!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 04:30 AM
Banned

if you cant read that it say 2x4- 3 of em per shelf, then top view
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

You must be a really little guy to fall into a 20 gallon tank, Eon.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I'm looking for the exact same thing as p3purr is to house pretty much the same size tanks.
I'd be interested to see another idea as well. Not that the cinder block idea isn't good. It's very practical and cheap, but if my wife will allow it in the house, it has to pass "the test". Also, practicing woodworking skills never hurts. I'm somewhat lacking in that department as well...

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The cider blocks is a good idea and if I was putting a 10 underneath I would go for it but I'm not sure I'm comfortable having less than 3" of cinder block under a 30 gallon tank. In other words, the top tank is 36" and the bottom tank is 30" so the cinder blocks would be 31-32 inches apart leaving 4-5 inches total area of cinder black for the tank to be over/on. I'd be concerned about the boards under the 30G bowing. It wouldn't take much of a bow to leave pressure on the ends of the tank and none under the center.

eon17, I really appreciate the time you took to make such a clear picture! Thank you!

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
For A standard 2x4 stand make the rectangles and just make sure the "shelves" rest on TOP of vertical joints. Don't attach them to the Sides of the joints. Not sure bout here but I do know of some sites that have libraries with great stands so just shoot me a pm.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...reat-site.html

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 05:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
An adaption of this would work
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...55_diy_pt1.php

-Cassie S.
No fish or invert tanks right now... just 1 H. azureiventris...
But I'm working on that!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Yep. 2x4s with simple butt joints are easy to work with, although be warned the resulting stand will be h.e.a.v.y .

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Kernard and Pet-teez: I think those are both great starting points for doing a stand. I would use rabbet joints instead of butt joints since they're a lot stronger and require a lot less bracing. That would make the stand lighter wieght and more cost efficient.

I'd like the bottom tank a little more off the ground in order to make syphoning the tank easier but that shouldn't be a big problem.

Thanks

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Wow, thats a handy link!
If I end up going with the stand I linked to I might end up making a nice "box" out of the outside using leftover wood flooring or something, plus I can put cabinet doors on it if I end up wanting to... it's a nice "base" model stand you know?
And in regards to the weight, tanks are heavy on their own so either you can lift some weight or you have help anyway *shrug*
I would rather over-build a stand than under-build it so the weight didn't even really cross my mind *oops*

Good luck

-Cassie S.
No fish or invert tanks right now... just 1 H. azureiventris...
But I'm working on that!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

You can always dress up an ugly stand with a skin of luan, paneling, or my favorite, drywall. A little molding and it's bootiful.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
P3purr, he said "simple" with limited experience. It doesn't get simpler than a butt joint, and it can be quite strong if done with some thought. Put a piece of 3/4" ply with screws and glue on the back and you've braced it about as much as it can be braced. It definitely won't rack with that! Sure, you can do rabbets, you can also get nice and fancy and do mortise and tenon or dowel pinning, biscuits or pocket screws or any of a hundred other different woodworking joints. It depends on what will do the job. Personally if I was going there, I would do a shiplap joint (technically it's a lap, or a half-lap. My dad always called it a shiplap, and that's where I picked it up from.) Simpler, either run it over the dado a few times or take the router to it. Good strong joint with glue and screws and you don't need to double up on the 2x's to make everything come out flush. But that's just me.

edit: Oops. Ha-ha. Didn't notice that you're the OP. Blame it on it being Friday night .

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode