A Convenient Siphon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A Convenient Siphon

I have made myself a convenient siphon which helps me to keep my aquariums clean without too much bother. My fish room is located on the terrace, just under the water tank (the bottom of the water tank is the roof of the fish room) so the water pressure at the basin tap is too poor to work a venturi. I therefore rely on the height difference of the floor level and the aquarium to get the flow rate. To keep the flow rate adequate I use a ¾” diameter garden hose long enough to allow the outflow discharge itself at the mouth of the rain water drain.

The garden hose needed some attachments at the aquarium end to do the function of an aquarium siphon. So I made these:-

1. The gravel cleaner- A 500cc pet-bottle with its bottom cut out and a piece of ½” pipe attached to the neck to allow me to attach it to the hose.

2. The gravel sweeper- A ½” to ¾” reducer socket with a ½” pipe at one end to attach to the hose; and the mouth at the other end bearing the bristles from a paint brush (super-glued) to allow me to loosen the dirt from the gavel under the plants while siphoning.

3. The water remover- A small pet bottle with its bottom replaced with a net and a ½” pipe piece for attachment to the hose. Allows you to remove water from the aquarium without worrying about the fishes.

4. The siphon handle- A cut-off ½” valve attached at one end to the hose and the other end to a ½” socket with screw thread. This allows me to stop the vacuum when I need to without having to restart it; it also allows me to slow down the flow in the smaller tanks. The threaded socket allows quick inter-changing of the 3 ends, described above, I wish to employ.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.

Last edited by essabee; 11-27-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow. Those look really useful, especially the brush attachment. Haven't seen anything like it before.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Very clever. Nice job

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode