rhinox 2k on diy co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
rhinox 2k on diy co2

is it normal to need a bunch of pressure to get the co2 to permeate the stone diffuser? i have to squeeze the bottle pretty hard to get the bubbles to come through the stone?

just wanna make sure that something isnt wrong.

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
yeah, i bought a similar knock off brand glass diffuser. My diy will push bubbles through, but at such a slow pace that the bubbles are quite large. My suggestion is either try a nano diffuser or go with limewood. I'm using limewood and it's good stuff. I'm guessing a nano diffuser would require less pressure to make tiny bubbles, but I'm just guessing.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
yeah, i bought a similar knock off brand glass diffuser. My diy will push bubbles through, but at such a slow pace that the bubbles are quite large. My suggestion is either try a nano diffuser or go with limewood. I'm using limewood and it's good stuff. I'm guessing a nano diffuser would require less pressure to make tiny bubbles, but I'm just guessing.
what size bottle are you using?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

2 2l bottles

Maybe 3 or four would make the difference? But at what point are you wasting money on sugar instead of just going pressurized??

note: you can see my diffuser in my sig pic. It's about the same size as a rhinox 2000.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought a Rhinox 2000 from aquatic magic on ebay and it has been working okay. I don't have a drop checker or bubble counter, but there are several streams of tiny bubbles rising out of it constantly.

Maybe there is a leak? I have a 2 liter juice bottle, and after I opened it and released the pressure, it took about 4 hours to start producing bubbles again.

Limewood or a Kordon Mist-Air Fine Airstone are inexpensive options you can try if it is still not working for you.

Good luck, hope this helps.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i have a 1L soda bottle on it now. i made the sugar/yeast mixture on wednesday, this morning its still not producing bubbles. the soda bottle is very firm though so im pretty sure there isnt a leak in the system.

i used ~1cup of sugar and ~1/16 tsp of yeast.

this is the recipe i use at home and it works great, but at home i just have the airline plummed into my canister filter inlet so there isnt allot of pressure for the co2 to overcome.

maybe i need a bigger bottle?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i just checked, now there is a 1 stream of very small bubbles coming out of the diffuser. hopefully pressure will still build at a higher rate then it is being released and i get the bubbles to permeate a few more spots in the stone.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
I had the same problem with mine when I had one. Take it out and put it in a cup fill the cup up with bleach and let it sit in it for a day. Wash it up really good before putting it back in your tank. I washed mine then let it air dry for a couple of days before I started using it again and wow what a difference that made. I had more co2 bubbles coming out of there than what I wanted.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

doesnt the bleach get under the stone? that sounds kinda dangerous.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfish View Post
I had the same problem with mine when I had one. Take it out and put it in a cup fill the cup up with bleach and let it sit in it for a day. Wash it up really good before putting it back in your tank. I washed mine then let it air dry for a couple of days before I started using it again and wow what a difference that made. I had more co2 bubbles coming out of there than what I wanted.
It made that difference to a new stone???? Or were you just washing the crud off a used one?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
doesnt the bleach get under the stone? that sounds kinda dangerous.
I would let mine soak in a heavy decholr solution just in case in addition to a good rinse.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
The description of the Rhinox 2000 says that it is not for DIY CO2 and they recommend using their ladder. http://cgi.ebay.com/Rhinox-2000-Japa...QQcmdZViewItem

This is their description:
"You are winning a Rhinox 2000 CO2 diffuser!
Improve the growth & health of your plants with sufficient CO2 supply!

- Atomic pores on the ceramic disc breaks down Carbon dioxide into tiny streams of bubbles
- With high surface area per volume ratio, CO2 can easily dissolve
- Experiments show CO2 dissolve rate close to 100%
- Suitable for tanks between 20 to 40 US gallon.
- Compatible for pressurized CO2 tanks
- Non-compatible for DIY setup. For DIY, a ladder diffuser is recommended.

- Size: Approx 1 inch in diameter.
- Note: Suction cup included."

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
I currently use a R2k/Diy Co2 to supply my 20h with no problems, DC remains yellow troughout the solution cycle and usually goes green indicating bpm dropoff, usually 3˝~4 week mark.

My diy ix is : 2L soda bottle, 2cups sugar, 3/4tsp yeast, 3Tsp baking soda, RO/DI water and water filled all the way up to where the bottle tapers so from the very top of the bottle to where the water stops is around 4". I suggest you increase your sugar and yeast to a minimum ˝Tsp so that you can get strong bpm to work its way through the R2k, 1/16 is not enough and the main reason whay it's not working for you.

I have been using the above for several months now with no issues. Every solution cycle change I take out my R2k and soak in bleach/water mix for about 3 hours after lights out, boil it after for about 15~20min 'pressure forces all the bleach water out of chamber' I used to use Prime but ran out but the boiling method works just as well...well for me it does. In the morning I get up my Co2 is already 80-90%.

BTW just as LeftC states I too second that you follow the manufacturers recommendation.

Good luck!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
The description of the Rhinox 2000 says that it is not for DIY CO2 and they recommend using their ladder. http://cgi.ebay.com/Rhinox-2000-Japa...QQcmdZViewItem

This is their description:
"You are winning a Rhinox 2000 CO2 diffuser!
Improve the growth & health of your plants with sufficient CO2 supply!

- Atomic pores on the ceramic disc breaks down Carbon dioxide into tiny streams of bubbles
- With high surface area per volume ratio, CO2 can easily dissolve
- Experiments show CO2 dissolve rate close to 100%
- Suitable for tanks between 20 to 40 US gallon.
- Compatible for pressurized CO2 tanks
- Non-compatible for DIY setup. For DIY, a ladder diffuser is recommended.

- Size: Approx 1 inch in diameter.
- Note: Suction cup included."
C when i purchased the diffuser i emailed them asking the same question and i was assured that it would work well with diy co2 aswell as pressurized.

i have also seen and messaged quite afew people on this board that have the same set up.

it seems there is just not enought pressure (duh) im going to up the size of my container and try more yeat and sugar and see what happens, ill post the results!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
I might be wrong, but I don't think that any of the glass/ceramic diffusers are recommended for DIY CO2. It think the main reasons are the pressure required and the gumming up issues because of the tiny pores.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode