Let's see your plumbing! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Talking Let's see your plumbing!

Just wondering what everyone's "undercarriage" looks like. I currently have two filters on my 90g (Eheim 2026 and Rena XP3), with UV Sterilizer and inline heater hooked to Eheim output. I'm looking to simplify things and make it a little neater down there. I also have problems with kinks in the line and usually have to push the Eheim into the back corner in a weird position, with zipties on the hoses to keep them unkinked. It's not a mess down there, but it could be better.
I like the PVC solutions that some people have. I assume that you wouldn't be able to hook the heater or UV directly inline to PVC, but would need a piece with a nipple and a small section of hose.
I'm not really looking for the auto water changing systems that some people have, although those are nice. I use a python connected to my faucet and it works fine for me.
Well, post away!

-Ryan

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Here you go

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...your-tank.html

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Ahh. Very nice thread. I love the idea of lights turning on when the doors open. Much better than holding a mini flashlight with my teeth when I want to do something down there. Someone also had a paper towel roll down there -- are you kidding me? LOL. Good idea though.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram View Post
Ahh. Very nice thread. I love the idea of lights turning on when the doors open. Much better than holding a mini flashlight with my teeth when I want to do something down there. Someone also had a paper towel roll down there -- are you kidding me? LOL. Good idea though.
A slight bump after scrolling through topics

Yes that is a paper towel roll holder I put there :P

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 05:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

I have 100% control of how much flow goes into the tank with this setup, from drop-wise to full-power. I had some leaking issues at first, so I switched out all the barbs shown above from CPVC to nylon. No other issues at all.

Cheers,
Marty
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Algae Grower

Some UV sterilizers, Current-USA and Pentair, are built to accept standard NPT PVC parts, so they can be fully hard plumbed. But that is a rather pricey solution.

Although I love building things out of PVC, the idea of a fully hard-plumbed setup never appealed to me. Mainly because it really sets things in stone, if you want to make a big change you are going to need a hacksaw. Lots of unions can help this some, but some design choices really do become fixed.

That said, might I suggest some better vinyl tubing? Reinforced tubing is will have a bigger bend radius, but won't kink.

And finally, you can fit a lot of stuff into 16" if you work at it:

Left to right: DIY FBF, UV, Hydor L25, XP2, Heater thermostat, CO2 solenoid (not pictured)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Fish'InMN - How exactly do you use the "water change valve"? Do you have something that connects to that end?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Algae Grower

YES! A DIY FBF! That's cool! I had wanted to build one myself, but got one for christmas instead.

Does it work well? Can you keep the sand bed fluidized?

-Mike B-
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
Fish'InMN - How exactly do you use the "water change valve"? Do you have something that connects to that end?
Yes, just a simple PVC L to drain into a bucket. I have not started using it yet as the tank is still easily siphoned, but once plants grow in everywhere I will begin using it for water changes. Or maybe not. Either way, it is the only way to get water out of the manifold without causing a huge mess.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePlanted View Post
YES! A DIY FBF! That's cool! I had wanted to build one myself, but got one for Christmas instead.

Does it work well? Can you keep the sand bed fluidized?
At the risk of being a total imbecile, what's a FBF?
________
property Pattaya

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 11:54 AM.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
FBF = fluidized bed filter

Mr. Aqua 12 gal Long
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 01:33 AM
Algae Grower

It fluidizes quite easily, the 1.5 lbs of sand I have in it only needs about half the flow of a 265gph pump. If you want more info on it, I'll start a new thread, as I did take construction pictures.

Fluidized Bed Filters are rare on planted tanks as they are kind of redundant, more common on high fish load tanks. But I wanted a 2nd filter for my tank and another canister filter just seemed...boring.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Is it in any way akin to an UGF?
________
Latnspice

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 11:55 AM.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Algae Grower

A fluidized bed filter is only like an under gravel filter in the sense that they both do biological filtration. A single pound of sand can provide biological filtration for 100 gallons of water, they pack a lot of surface area into a small space.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Algae Grower

That IS really cool.

I was using the lifeguard FB300 FBF before I redid my 29gal. I took it out and only used the mechanical module b/c I think the sand media that they provided was messing with my KH, and maybe (if i can remember correctly) my GH. It also seemed like it just pumped out nitrates, but I can't really think why that would be. It seems like the plants would take care of any ammonia. Maybe I just had too many fish.

I dont really need it now, but I think a DIY FBF thread would be great to have for reference.

Does anyone else have the pentair/lifeguard modules they are using on their tanks? How did you plumb them?

-Mike B-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode