Getting very angry w my DIY Co2.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting very angry w my DIY Co2....

Ok I have my own DIY Co2 and on the cap I have a barb screwed into it and the silicone hosing to my tank fits right on the barb. For those of you that are unfamiliar with a barb it is just a simple plumbing fitting.
Anyways, I have siliconed this thing about 15 times. I have wiped it down with rubbing alcohol and I haven't, I've tried it all. I put big beads of silicone on it and around it and made a huge pile and I have done a nice bead along it inside and out. Nothing seems to hold, I wake up a week later and look and there is air or moisture bubbling out.
I have had it up to here >< with it and I was looking for some ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Silicone doesn't stick that great to most plastics. Try some other glue, like Liquid Nails, or some adhesive glue. Let it set well before you put it under pressure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I usually let it sit for 48 hours and I thought I needed to use aquarium safe silicone, because of the toxins in other stuff.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:54 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Nah, that's just to keep the glass panes of your fish tank nice and tight together.

Once the smell is gone, glue is dry, pretty safe to use. Especially for your application, where it doesn't even get into contact with tank water.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Alright then I will use my dad's industrial grade apoxy.....
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Generically speaking, one thing that will help things stick (besides cleaning the surfaces) is roughing them up. Sandpaper, or whatever.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Why use silicone or glue? Just make a hole slightly smaller than the tubing and use pliers to pull the tubing through...It has worked for me and looks better than a blob of silicone....

75 gal, Schultz aquatic soil substrate. Filstar XP2 and a H.O.T. Magnum canister filter, 20# Pressurized Co2, Coralife 4x65 watt pc lighting.

Filstar Pimp#83
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I used 150grit sandpaper when I did the DIY Co2. Then I seal it with Liquid Nail.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 04:41 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogg76 View Post
Why use silicone or glue? Just make a hole slightly smaller than the tubing and use pliers to pull the tubing through...It has worked for me and looks better than a blob of silicone....
Thats what I have always done and have never had a problem.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
Thats what I have always done and have never had a problem.
X3
For silicone tubing make it nice and snug, cut the tip at an angle, pull it through.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Sowilu Send a message via Yahoo to Sowilu
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
X3
For silicone tubing make it nice and snug, cut the tip at an angle, pull it through.
Exactly what I did and mine is running great.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ya well for you guys that didn't silicone your tubing into the cap, how much Co2 are you really getting in your tank? How many Bubbles per second or do you have a drop checker?
My statement is your DIY Co2 is probably not being as efficient as it could be with no airtight seal.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Zack, Trust me, if it's done right it is an airtight seal. You hear the rush of gass when you unscrew it.
If the hole is smaller, when you pull it through the silicone tubing streaches, and gets thinner, then when it's relaxed, it expands back.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I use gorilla glue and those tubbing connectors.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...amily&keepsr=1

and then connect the airline to the connector. Works like a charm.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackish View Post
Ya well for you guys that didn't silicone your tubing into the cap, how much Co2 are you really getting in your tank? How many Bubbles per second or do you have a drop checker?
My statement is your DIY Co2 is probably not being as efficient as it could be with no airtight seal.
do this, screw a hole in the top of the cap smaller then the tube, pulll it threw the hole, screw on the top, blow as hard as you want. IT WILL NOT LEAK. there is no was diy co2 will produce half the pressure you just made with your mouth.

do this or buy pressurized co2, the epoxy, gorilla glue, barb in the top, method does nothing but break, and "make" youthink you have a better seal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode