DIY Super low budget 10g Stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
DIY Super low budget 10g Stand

I was recently given a 10 gallon tank, so I've been perusing a stand to use. The local Goodwill had a fancy little wooden file cabinet, and this Saturday was a half off sale day, I picked it up for 8 dollars.

I wanted to make doors that swung out, instead of pull out along a track, so I tore the guts out, leaving only the faces.

After a quick trip to the Home Depot, I grabbed a few hinges, and mounted them to the side of the cabinet and drawer faces.

I brought it outside, lightly sanded the whole unit, and shot it with a couple coats of primer

And a coat of gloss black (satin would have been better in retrospect)

After drying overnight, I brought it inside, de-rimmed my 10 gallon gift and sat an extra light on top of it.

Here is it's position in the room

All in all, this is a great stand. Your mileage may vary, but I thought I'd throw this together to show how really ugly furniture can be converted into something less ugly

Total Cost:
Filing Cabinet : 8.00
Spray Paint : 6.00
Hinges : 4.00
Sandpaper : 2.00
Magnetic door
stops: 2.00

TOTAL : 22.00

This project took me about half a day to complete. It would have been much quicker if I had a drill, but I had to drive all the screws for the hinges and door stops in by hand Also, pulling the rim off the tank took about 15 minutes. I just used a razor blade, and cut the trim on the inside and outside of the glass from underneath, cutting through the silicone and plastic as well. The trim will lift off, leaving only the part that is siliconed to the top of the glass. I carefully pulled it off with the help of the razor blade. A little patience really payed off, as this tank looks really awesome now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
The stand looks awesome, and I love the look of the rimless 10 gallon *eyes my AGA 10 gallon*

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
40 breeder reef

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the compliment. I really love the ADA style, and I really don't have the money to buy it. Can't beat a free tank ! Taking the rim off was super easy.. I wish I had taken pictures of it now. Just a sharp razor and a little patience (and a beer or two) is all you need.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Nice work. A good, very low budget and easy conversion of that file cabinet.
It looks great.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Good job on the stand. Do you have any concerns about the structural integrity (silicone) of your 10gal after removing the rim?

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I am a bit wary. 10 gallon tanks are made (the cheap ones at least) with 1/8" glass. The tank by itself shouldn't give from the water pressure. As short as the water column is on a ten gallon, the outward force isn't great enough to break the silicone. However, I am afraid that if I bump the tank too hard while cleaning or bump it inadvertently, it may break. Sort of a form or function dilemma here. I would not recommend removing the top rim from a taller tank at all. Breeder style tanks, like 20 long and 40 gallon breeders may be okay, due to a thicker glass to water column height ratio. Your mileage may vary Overall, I am very happy with this tank set up. For 20 bucks ( the T5 light on it was just laying around) it's a very pretty tank, soon to hold cherry shrimp, and right now is holding 20 endler fry that were born last night. Here's a quick pic

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Interesting... I wouldn't plant Pistia in the substrate... it's a floating plant.

The tank sure looks better without the rim. I would probably silicone a small glass strip on both sides of the tank for additional support, but may not be necessary for the 10gal size.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I know it's a floater, but it's free in the lakes around here, and I wanted to see if it would live underwater. My goal for this tank is to be as cheap and free as possible. Do you know by chance if the water lettuce will live, or will it take a big crap and die in my tank?

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
it will die quickly when submerged.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

figured. Unfortunately there aren't any local submerged plants growin around here. I don't want to take clippings from my big tank because I want them to look different. I want a bunch of grass like plants in the tank, but am afraid my lighting may be insufficient. I'm trying to avoid buying anything expensive for this tank for a while. Do you have any ideas?

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 03:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'll give you a wack of hygro if you pay the shipping. I'm taking down one of my ten gallongs to turn into a shellie tank in the near future.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 04:56 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
holler at me in a couple weeks. I'll give you some dwarf hairgrass for shipping. My 10 is full of it. Here is a link.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
that 10g mod is a really neat idea. too bad that tank isn't manufactured with thicker glass. i have been contemplating economical ways to get/make a rimless tank.

you know one way you could strenghten it would be to make four slender, angles with thin plexiglass rectangles cut 3/4"X3" or so. you can easily bend the acrylic by heating over stove flame, then shape over something with a nice square corner. then, neatly silicone in place at the top corners.

BTW, the AGA 15 gallon, only an inch or so taller, is manufactured with much thicker glass.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 05:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to unix2k Send a message via MSN to unix2k Send a message via Yahoo to unix2k
SWEEET TANK setup and everything else =)

I wonder if i can de trim my 40G R... But im gonna add more silicone for more support.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchisapo View Post
you know one way you could strenghten it would be to make four slender, angles with thin plexiglass rectangles cut 3/4"X3" or so. you can easily bend the acrylic by heating over stove flame, then shape over something with a nice square corner. then, neatly silicone in place at the top corners.

BTW, the AGA 15 gallon, only an inch or so taller, is manufactured with much thicker glass.
That's a pretty neat idea. I doubt I could get a perfectly even bend in the acrylic unless I had a form or something to bend it over to give me uniformity. I'm a perfectionist, and if the bend didn't run just exactly down the middle I'd never be happy with it.

I've never seen an AGA 15 G in any of the stores around here. I'd say it could go rimless too though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode