Devcon 2 ton epoxy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Devcon 2 ton epoxy

Does anyone know anything about Devcon 2 ton epoxy? Im wanting to make a mudskipper tank in the coming months, but dont want to spend ~$125 on "aquarium grade" 2 part epoxy if its not necessary. This stuff is CHEAP ( could be good OR bad), and stated as "Water Proof". This leads me to think it would be fish-safe once fully cured, and Ive read elsewhere that most 2-part epoxys were, once cured. I only picked up a 25ml for testing with ($2.00), possibly make a backgroud for my 75, to see how it is when working with it, but if it is indeed safe, and can be used for what Im thinking, Ill probably pick up a few more and start working on my molds for the mudskipper tank. Any input would be appreciated, and thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unless it's specifically a marine epoxy, i suspect that it would break down over time. Lots of products claim to be waterproof but then in fine print tell you not to use it submerged. I'd read the label over carefully.

I used a similar type of regular epoxy by lepage to make a diy canister filter. It was also supposed to be waterproof. I glued some copper elbows into a glass jar that i drilled out. The epoxy was fish safe but it broke down over a period of about a 2 months. The epoxy which was initially hard started turning rubbery and soft from the exposure to water. I was lucky i discovered the failing epoxy in time or i could have had my whole tank drained out to my carpet.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
You used copper pipes in your cannister filter?

You know copper is toxic to most aquatic life, especially marine organisms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You do realize that most likely, the water that you fill your tanks with come out of a copper pipe right? Even if you tell me that your pipes are the newer plastic laminated steel pipes, you still have copper or brass fittings in those systems, also the cartridges in your faucet are made of brass which contain copper.

Most aquatic organisms can stand trace levels of copper just fine. Infarct, I do believe that many ick medications actually use copper as the main agent to kill ick. Yes I know that shrimp are more sensitive to copper but there were plenty of shrimp in my tank when I started using the filter and there were still plenty of shrimp after I stopped using it because of the epoxy going bad.

You act as if copper just dissolves like sugar. If that were the case your water pipes wouldn't last very long. If you have highly acidic water, then yes the copper will leech out faster but with near neutral water water like in the tank that this was in, it is not a problem.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalFizbin View Post
You do realize that most likely, the water that you fill your tanks with come out of a copper pipe right? Even if you tell me that your pipes are the newer plastic laminated steel pipes, you still have copper or brass fittings in those systems, also the cartridges in your faucet are made of brass which contain copper.

Most aquatic organisms can stand trace levels of copper just fine. Infarct, I do believe that many ick medications actually use copper as the main agent to kill ick. Yes I know that shrimp are more sensitive to copper but there were plenty of shrimp in my tank when I started using the filter and there were still plenty of shrimp after I stopped using it because of the epoxy going bad.

You act as if copper just dissolves like sugar. If that were the case your water pipes wouldn't last very long. If you have highly acidic water, then yes the copper will leech out faster but with near neutral water water like in the tank that this was in, it is not a problem.
however the copper in your home pipes is exposed to the water for a very short period of time. And most pipes that the city water go thru is cement. then the outside pipes are likely to be PVC so again the copper exposure that your tap water has is minimal. Having copper in your tanks filtration system is however a different story. toss a penny in a glass of water and see what happens to it over a day,month, year. in time that penny will dissolve. leaching copper into the water. For animals that are sensitive to copper it could be a disaster to use copper in your tanks system. as you stated the acidity of the water plays a big part. and tho your tank was more neutral this may not be the case for everyone. Hell I remember reading here someone had shrimp and couldn't figure out why they kept dieing. when he broke the tank down guess what he found in the substrate. a penny.
moral of the story. Don't use copper for your filtration plumbing.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode