Slowing down a penguin - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Slowing down a penguin

Im curious if anyone here has tried to slow down their penguins filter flow (the ones without the valve)

Currently im thinking of installing a dimmable plug. Not sure if it will work so im asking if anyone else has done it before i go and buy the dimmer.

Filstar pimp #116! aka Neven elsewhere
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v2 planted community; 10G guppies;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nano; 2.5G Betta
old scapes:
v1;
v3;
v2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607
Eh, I doubt the dimmer will work. Who knows it just might though. I would try that first, Then you can modify the filter a little to make it slower. If you are trying to reduce surface agitation you can cut the plastic from a soda bottle. Then silicone it to the exhuast of the filter, so it "glides" the water into the surface.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Why not just try packing in extra filter floss. It'll also help polish your water.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The dimmable thing will most likely cause the filter to run noisier and improperly, may damage your motor.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i personally don't see how it would damage the motor, after all, it will be supplying a lower voltage to it, and the in rush current wont be increasing either. its more of a matter of if the motor's coils would create a strong enough magnetic field to turn the rotor at a low enough voltage. I know enough that it will work to decrease the flow to some extent, but if it will work at a noticable level is a whole other question.

Tanks:
nano; 2.5G Betta
old scapes:
v1;
v3;
v2
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607
my girlfriend says " throw a peice of fish at it"
I would pack more floss in it. Just be VERY carefull of it clogging, and then spilling out over the filter. Maybe put a small ball valve on the inlet of the filter.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 05:16 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast View Post
i personally don't see how it would damage the motor, after all, it will be supplying a lower voltage to it...
The motors in aquarium filters work quite differently than the standard brushed motors you're probably used to. Lowering the voltage could actually cause damage. I like the idea somebody else suggested about just adding more media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingnerd607 View Post
Maybe put a small ball valve on the inlet of the filter.
You don't want restrictions on the inlet of any filter, this will just cause cavitation which can destroy the filter in short order.

You could also trim the impeller down. This would be irreversible of course, but it's an option.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Take air tubing, like silicone tubing, and cut small segments to the length of maybe half or all of the blades on the impeller. Slip the airline pieces over the impeller and that should slow the flow.

How many blades are there?

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
....+1 vote for adding more filter floss. That's how I do it and it works well. Or add a bag of Purigen.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 04:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I had leftover Aquaclear white sponge media from the filter tube prefilters I made, so I just cut a 3/16" strip of it and laid it on the Penguin outlet. It slows the water down really well & also helps keep the shrimp out of the filter box.

Tommy <9))>>{

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

what i ended up doing was cutting out the middle section of a 750 ml water bottle, cut a strip out of it, and used the left over piece to wrap around the intake. The plastic curls under the spillway and into the water a bit. the top wedges nicely between the filter and its cover. It stops almost all surface agitation, and due to the plastic under the water, and no more bubbles of air deep into the tank. the tank remains very still now thanks for the ideas

Tanks:
nano; 2.5G Betta
old scapes:
v1;
v3;
v2
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Algae Grower

I personally don't have any problems with the flow of a penguin. It's just that the noise level that gets annoying at times. But I know that my brother has tried and used a sponge around the outlet and has done a pretty decent job.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Banned

it is SOO easy! all you do is lift the intake tube into the air a little bit!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yeah the penguins should have the movable intake tube that you pull up on to slow. However if accesability is a problem I wonder if a variac would work... I'll have to try. might be an expensive option though. If I am not mistaken the motors should be shaded-pole motors like in a ceiling fan.

~Tristan
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

my model doesn't allow for the intake tube to be raised. i'll need to set the filter cover ajar, and it always seems to get bumped when i remove the tank hood and falls back in place forcing the tube back down

Tanks:
nano; 2.5G Betta
old scapes:
v1;
v3;
v2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode