Planning a rack/stand for two tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Planning a rack/stand for two tanks

Hello all,
In the next couple months, I'm planning on beginning the construction of a rack / stand that will be used to house my current 25g-tall as well as another tank (10-15g probably). I've done some searching on this board and found just one example of such a project, but I'm looking for more step-by-step as I'm not experienced in this by any stretch. I'm thinking that 2x4's will probably suffice for the corners/legs and after that, I still need to figure out an actual design. I'd like it to stand about 4-5' high, as it will have 3 shelves.....
top shelf: 10-15g
middle shelf: 25g
bottom shelf: storage, filters, etc. (or maybe I could put a door on the bottom area)

Any suggestions, or maybe a "must read" that you want to point out? I'm going to look around at some other sites when I get home. Perhaps APC or reefcentral.com would have examples as well. I'm looking for practical, but I also want it to look nice. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607
I would use 2x4's for the legs, and for the horizontal supports. You could lay the bottom horizontal 2x4s on side. use some 1/2" or 3/8" plywood for a floor, which can be supported using 1x2s.

It all depends on what you want it to look like in the end. You can wrap the whole thing in paneling, or fill in the joints with bondo and make it an ADAish stand. I would check out cioutlaws stands over at reefsanctuary. Both of his stands are very similar to what Im ALMOST done building

You need to consider the height of your 25g, being able to access it easily. Consider what type of filters and equipment you will keep in the bottom. A lift-off panel might be better suited to the stand instead of doors.

Google sketch up is a good program to design a stand in, or if you have access to AutoCad programs. The good old fashioned ruler and pencil works good too!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Yes, maybe I'll try google sketchup. Never used it before, but I'm sure I can figure it out. Thanks for mentioning the person at reefsanctuary - I'll check that out also.
My idea is to make it as easy as possible to work in also, as the tanks will be shrimp & plant farms.
I'll keep the canister filters and a 5lb Co2 tank on the bottom shelf and lighting will probably be ahsupply or something similar, where I can mount it to the bottom of the above shelf (except for the tank on the top shelf) and not worry about moving the light out of the way every time I put my hand in there. Granted, it would be a few inches above the tank, but that should be ok. 10g tanks are only 12" deep or so, right? No worries there. I'll probably get a 55w PC for the 10g and I already have a 55wx2 for the 25g.
This should be great learning experience. I'm not much of a handyman ...yet, but we all have to start somewhere.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Rude and crude. I wasn't going for looks, just storage!

I woke up one morning and realized my living room turned into a fish store!!! HELP!!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607
Khandurian, are your horizontal supports resting on wood, or screws? Its a bad idea to let your screws bear the weight of aquariums. It should always be wood on wood. If I have time Ill post my stand. Im hanging the doors tommorow.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
It's hard to tell with that picture, but their bolts. They go all the way through.

I woke up one morning and realized my living room turned into a fish store!!! HELP!!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thats better than screws! I would be really carefull with how much weight you put on top. If you have the space you can just put some 2x4 peices between the horiztonal supports. They should fit nicely behind the current bolted ones.

Shouldnt be a problem with the weight you have now. A LFS built a rack similar to yours but taller, and didnt have wood on wood. Needless to say it toppled down.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode