DIY CO2 control - why not? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 control - why not?

Hi: I'm new here, but have been lurking for a few months. I have a question.

Everything I've read says you can't control the CO2 output from a DIY reactor. Why not? It seems to me there would several ways to do it.

If you want to turn it off completely for a while, take the line out of the tank. If you use a gas separator all that will happen is that CO2 will escape into the room.

If you want to decrease the CO2 output, couldn't you change the diffusing to make it less efficient, such as letting larger bubbles out or letting bubble escape to the surface?

Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 11:53 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Usually it is not necessary to unhook a DIY system. Most DIY systems do not make enough CO2 to be harmful to the fish and critters.

What is your reason for wanting to "turn it off?"

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Actually, I have not wanted to turn it off. I just wanted to make sure I understood what the options were if it did get too high.

Thanks.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
I wouldnt be too worried about DIY CO2 getting too high to harm fish. The small ammount of CO2 in the tank will be used up too quickly by the plants.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
What i do is put a clip on the line and stops the flow. when i turn the lights on. i let the co2 go. since my diy co2 doesnt make enough co2 for my 30 long

One month in.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am not sure about clamping the DIY co2 line...
The pressure will build up quite a bit.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
watchout for the DIY CO2 bottle explosion...

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607
Ive seen a large solid core 4" pvc "chamber" that had a regulator of some type attached to it. It was fed using diyco2, which would pressurize the co2 chamber. I recall their being some check valves between the co2 producers, and the PVC chamber. While not ideal - it would be a neat project. For controlling it a simpler way - you could just use a 2 port brass gang valve. One port going to open air, the other your reactor. just close the reactor valve, and open the other one.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 02:23 AM
Planted Member

for me, since i put my co2 output tube at the bottom of my co2 diffuser ladder rather than the top where 10 gallon tanks should be set at, i installed a T in line, than a valve off the other line going no where, so at night i just turn the knob. in the morning, i tighten the valve when i wake up for work, by the time the timer turns the lights on, the co2 has regained enough pressure to push the bubbles out at a decent rate. Now also, by barely opening the valve, it will reduce the flow to the tank, not cut it off completly

Filstar pimp #116! aka Neven elsewhere
Tanks:
v2 planted community; 10G guppies;
nano; 2.5G Betta
old scapes:
v1;
v3;
v2
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 04:09 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James From Cali View Post
I wouldnt be too worried about DIY CO2 getting too high to harm fish. The small ammount of CO2 in the tank will be used up too quickly by the plants.
i've gotten 30ppm of CO2 from a DIY system. It's how the bubbles are diffused into the tank that matters.

If you want to, at night just unscrew the lid on the DIY bottle.. pretty easy.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
i've gotten 30ppm of CO2 from a DIY system. It's how the bubbles are diffused into the tank that matters.

If you want to, at night just unscrew the lid on the DIY bottle.. pretty easy.

I agreed with you, there are many times when I wake the next morning, I see fish that are about to die. I use 4 2L bottles for my DIY CO2. I have an air pump hooked up to a timer, so when the lights are off, the air pump will deliver air to the aquarium to prevent to much CO2 dissolved during night time.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Algae Grower

what I do is I run air pump all the time and crank it up when the lights go off.

Right now I'm experimenting with different recipes/yeast strain combinations to get one I like so that I can just run air at night. What could you do is to run a 3-way "L" type ball valve
(like http://assuredautomation.com/31D/index.php )
and run the actuator on a timer when energized it will supply a tank and when the actuator is de-energized, it move flow to a 2L bottle that bubbles underneath some water (vapor lock) to keep your yeast in their sterile environment and during a power outage it will vent to the vapor lock and not continuously inject into the tank.

example sample picture of automated diy co2:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1351358931/
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
what I do is I run air pump all the time and crank it up when the lights go off.

Right now I'm experimenting with different recipes/yeast strain combinations to get one I like so that I can just run air at night. What could you do is to run a 3-way "L" type ball valve
(like http://assuredautomation.com/31D/index.php )
and run the actuator on a timer when energized it will supply a tank and when the actuator is de-energized, it move flow to a 2L bottle that bubbles underneath some water (vapor lock) to keep your yeast in their sterile environment and during a power outage it will vent to the vapor lock and not continuously inject into the tank.
Not to threadcrap or anything, but for all this money spent on acutuators and complicated systems, why not check out the Swap n Shop and local welding shops for good deals on a pressurized system?

Just unscrew the cap at night or use a gang valve as others have suggested.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Gang valves are what I use. I just get a cheap 2 way metal gang valve. At night, shut off the line that goes to the tank and open the line that goes into the air.

In the morning, shut off the line that goes into the air and open the line that goes into the tank.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower

I'm sure you can find valves like that valve cheaper if you look and do research. Its just a sample how you can do an automatic diy co2.
as for me,

I never run out of co2 because its a byproduct when I make beer

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode