How to change trim color - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/88%)
How to change trim color

I picked up a nice 16 gallon bowfront off of craigslist, complete, for $10 the other week.

Only problem is there is discoloration to the fake wood trim.

Right now I would like to be able to change the color of the trim, the color of the light strip and the color of the glass/plastic top.

The first step is to prep the surface; clean, light sand, clean again, tape off parts. I got that.

However, I wanted to know what brand of spray paint (or other paint) that everyone could suggest. Any types of methods you have used? Did you use matte or glass?

Any input would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607
I would prep the back trim, and test diffrent types of paint for durabality. Also I would definetly use a flat color. Gloss would be distracting. I bet you could laminate it if you wanted alot of work
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, thought about laminating it. But there is still the problem of the brown light strip and top. So I think paint is the easiest way to go.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 04:24 AM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedStuffedHuman View Post
Yeah, thought about laminating it. But there is still the problem of the brown light strip and top. So I think paint is the easiest way to go.
Hi,

It may sound tacky but Wal-Mart sells wood looking laminate (contact paper). I have used this on my 30 gallon tank and it has stood up on the bottom part for over 3 years. I need to re-do the top part as I placed tape on it and tore it off by accident. It does look good almost like it was their from the beginning.

Just my 2cents.

James
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I redid my trim from wood colored to black on my 110. I prepped it like you said, cleaning it really good, then taped it off and spray painted it with black Krylon for Plastic:

It has worked great! It's been two years now and the front looks perfect. On the inside where the glass canopy rubs there's a little wear through the paint, but you can't see it when the canopy is closed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's a great idea. I almost forgot they made special spray paint just for plastic. Thanks for reminding me.

Most of my DIY projects I just use a crappy generic brand, but I think I will spend the extra cash on this and get the Krylon you suggested.

Did you try to remove the wood sticker material first or did you just spray over it?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Sprayed over it... it is sticker material? On mine it almost looked like it was printed on the plastic. but I guess that makes sense that'd it'd be stickons...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)
I did the same thing on a tank I got off craigslist. It had the wood look to it and I spray painted it using the same Krylon pain except in dark brown.

Before:

After:
The generic hood is long gone

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey that looks pretty darn good!

Off to Home Depot tomorrow!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
well if you were thinking of keeping woodgrain what about going to lowes or home depot and buying like sheets of that really thin wood that you could just cut down to the size you need if you have the tools and stain it to whatever color you want. then of course get some good adhesive and apply it to the plastic on the tank. Im sure that would turn out well... a little more work but then again you get what you put into it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like that idea--actually veneering it with veneer.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I picked up a can of paint yesterday, the Krylon Plastic, and just gave it a whirl.

WOW! That stuff is great for plastic. The tank looks like it came right from the store, brand new in black!

I used the satin finish and it looks great. Thanks for the suggestion. Will post picks later.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek View Post
I redid my trim from wood colored to black on my 110. I prepped it like you said, cleaning it really good, then taped it off and spray painted it with black Krylon for Plastic:

It has worked great! It's been two years now and the front looks perfect. On the inside where the glass canopy rubs there's a little wear through the paint, but you can't see it when the canopy is closed.
X2. They make a semigloss & also some textured versions of Fusion that would probably be perfect for an aquarium.

Tommy <9))>>{

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode