DIY Multiport Pressurized CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Multiport Pressurized CO2

Hi,

I've found some parts at a local..parts and tool store that will allow me to run multiple tanks out of my Milwaukee regulator.

I'm having trouble undoing the connections. There seems to be some kind of sealer on the threads. Are there any hints as to how to remove the connections? What is this stuff (I'm assuming it is like loctite)? Do I need it when I reassemble or can I just use teflon

Any experiences with this?

-scherzo

------------------
~ 5 Gallon Platy Fry
~ 7 Gallon Nano - Shrimp
~ 10 Gallon Planted - Florabase - Shrimp - Press CO2
~ 30 Gallon 2 Convict Cichlids - Root Therm - Fluval 205
~ 55 Gallon Planted - Fluorite - Root Therm - Fluval 305 - XP3 - Press CO2 - Community
~ 75 Gallon soon to come
~ 90 Gallon Planted - ADA Aquasoil - Root Therm -2 X XP3 Press CO2 - Community
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Brute force... I used two large adjustable wrenches to get the bubble counter/needle valve off the regulator. I removed the plastic bubble counter housing first because most likely I would have cracked it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
What kind of needle valves did you find?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Rex -

I didn't get the needle valves from my local welding store. I got these ones from my LFS.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ct_ID=cr-pnval

I have no idea who makes them and I can't seem to find any identifying features on them. Next time I'm in my LFS I'll ask and let you know what brand they are. I'll also let you know how well they work.

Worst case.. if I bugger it up.. I'll get one from you I actually have CO2 tanks that I want to get multiple outputs for.

-scherzo

------------------
~ 5 Gallon Platy Fry
~ 7 Gallon Nano - Shrimp
~ 55 Gallon Planted - Fluorite - Root Therm - Fluval 305 - XP3 - Press CO2 - Community
~ 75 Gallon soon to come
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
That's a pretty decent valve from what I have heard. Not sure who builds it though.

Glad you did not get the inexpensive needle valves at the hardware store. They just don't work on tanks smaller than 150 gallons.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got it all setup today and found parts locally at a fittings store.

Here are some pictures of both my setups.

Please excuse the excess Teflon. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't get any Teflon on the inside close to the actual hole.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canadia...7601624369580/

The regulators seem to work well. I have a fair degree of control and they seem to hold the bubble count (so far).

-scherzo

------------------
~ 5 Gallon Platy Fry
~ 7 Gallon Nano - Shrimp
~ 75 Gallon soon to come
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Looking good. Make sure you use decent check valves to prevent water creeping back and messing with your valves/regulator.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Nice work with the teflon. Looks clean. FWIW...you don't need that much...lol. One or two passes around will do.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did only go around twice at most with the teflon. I could have pulled it to make it not so wide but I didn't care so much.

I know that it really shouldn't be showing. Oh well... if I get too good at it I maybe I'll start supplying like Rex... umm.. not...

As for the check valves... I was in a rush to get it going and had a few Elite check valves lying around. I'm going to get brass ones once I visit my LFS.

As a side note... one of my setups use poly tubing to send CO2 to a tank upstairs. The CO2 is actually kept the floor below with a tank that only has plants. This way I have a 10 gallon tank with no visible CO2 tank. I may also try centralized air as well. Maybe even get a canister with a water pump and make it look like there is no filter either. We'll see... maybe next summer. I think it would look cool with a 10 gallon tank on top of a glass stand of some sort. Now how would I hide the lights?!?!

-scherzo

------------------
~ 5 Gallon Platy Fry
~ 7 Gallon Nano - Shrimp
~ 75 Gallon soon to come

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode