Couple Q's on plumbing: valves & autochanging - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Couple Q's on plumbing: valves & autochanging

I've been making some good progress on my plumbing design lately. A couple questions though.

1. True Unions ball valves: has anyone found a cheap way to get these? This is the best I've been able to find online. http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=1 item 355010 part way down the page. Just under $14 a piece.

2. Water changing: I don't have the stuff in place to do this right now, but I'm plumbing an inlet and an outlet for automated water changing to utilize at a later date. All of my plumbing is 1 inch, the inlet/outlet is currently at 3/4. I know its adequate for inflow but I'm concerned about drainage pace. Can anyone comment?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Why are you wanting a true union ball valve? Under what circumstances do you anticipate taking it out?

Keep Smilin'
John

"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
.................................John Wayne
disclaimer: When I took "The Dukes" quote as my signature, I was thinking of me, not you.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've designed the system with an inlet manifold and an outlet manifold. There's three lines between them:

1. Bypass - allows flow to not go through 2 and 3.

2. UV Sterilizer and nothing else right now.

3. Heat, temp, pH, CO2, fert-in 1, fert-in 2, water in and water out.

In the mock up design I've placed ball valves at the beginning and end of the three paths (except bypass exhaust) so that I can isolate/regulate flow. I'm anticiapating that I'll have leaks and want to make changes along the way so I'm willing to 'overdo' it upfront.

I'd like to use a valve/union combo to join my 1 inch schedule 40 PVC to save space. Incidentally, it wouldn't cost any more than a screw type union($5-$6not a simple fitting but a rejoinable union) and a ball valve ($7).

I'm not sure I'm using the right terminology, but that's what the website calls them. I'm after something that accepts the slip fitting of 1 inch pvc on both ends but has a detachable function.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I used a few single and double union ball valves - there are many reasons you might want to disconnect them. I just got em at Lowes... I got 1" and 1.5" and they were somewehre between $5-10 I forget exactly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Tristan
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Home Depot and Rona don't carry them here. Hell, there was only 5 1 inch valves between both of em! I've ordered from Savco, best prices I could find.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by original kuhli View Post
Home Depot and Rona don't carry them here. Hell, there was only 5 1 inch valves between both of em! I've ordered from Savco, best prices I could find.
I feel sorry for ya man. The most expensive one I bought was like $10 from the local Lowes and that was a double union 1.5". But at least you have a good source.

~Tristan
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Here is the old semi-automatic water changing setup I used when I lived in Illinois two years ago! One pump with 4 valves. Turned two and the water went out of the tank, turned those off and turned another two and new water went back in from a 70 gallon holding tank.

Last edited by born2lovefish; 03-30-2009 at 02:03 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe this will give you some inspiration.

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/do-y...ip-system.html

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I ordered from Savko, these guys look like thye've some of the best prices going:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode