Overflow design - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Overflow design

Hey guys, I'm trying to design a good overflow for my PT (I'll then have to design a sump), I love projects so I'm looking forward to this. Of course I'll try to incorporate a low surface agitation design into it so I don't loose too much co2. Does anyone have experience with making these? What about cutting and gluing acrylic (the 1/4" from home depot). I want to find out as much as possible before I begin so that I dont face any problems while making it. This will have to be a very reliable unit. I'm planning to overshoot on the GPH capacity, which will help to avoid turbulence as well.
All seams will be siliconed at the end, and a strainer will be put in the tank side, to keep my neons out . The tube on the right is not a prefilter like in many, but a riser tube. Thanks for all and any input!

Last edited by Ukrainetz; 08-05-2007 at 05:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I cant comment on that style, just wondering if youve seen the PVC tube stlye ones... I mention just because they seem way easier to build. I plan on building one soon. I haven seen on put on the pvc style overflow (I dont see why not) but I'd think one could put a durso style submerged intake on the pvc overflow to make it quieter and not disturb the waters surface (minimal co2 loss).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Tristan
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm a little confused by what you mean, but if you're talking about the durso overflow then I agree it is much easier to make/operate. The problem with a permanent overflow is: 1.Tank is already setup, 2.Drilling tempered glass is not high on my priority list, 3.I think a durso style will dissipate more co2 than the HOT overflow box. If I'm mistaken, and its something magical I haven't yet seen, send me a link. Thanks c.l.!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrainetz View Post
I'm a little confused by what you mean, but if you're talking about the durso overflow then I agree it is much easier to make/operate. The problem with a permanent overflow is: 1.Tank is already setup, 2.Drilling tempered glass is not high on my priority list, 3.I think a durso style will dissipate more co2 than the HOT overflow box. If I'm mistaken, and its something magical I haven't yet seen, send me a link. Thanks c.l.!
No, the pvc one I'm talking about is an over the tank one, not drilled with bulkheads. I suppose it doesnt have a special name??? Take a look at this: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...ad.php?t=15733 my current project is drilled so I havent built one of those myself yet, but I plan on two more tanks in the near future and both will use these PVC HOT overflows, assuming they work out for me. I'll pain them black with krylon fusion since I also paint all my tank backs black. A lot cheaper and less permanent than a drilled tank for sure. Cost wise not a big difference with your diy acrylic design, just a lot easier since you dont have to cut acrylic or glue it or bend it. But if your used to working with acrylic then bending/cutting/gluing wouldnt be a big deal either, and the box style one is a little less intrsuive in the tank.

By durso style intake I just mean that instead of having the tube simply open at the top there will be a T and a 90* piece so the open part is facing the tank bottom, underwater. take a look at http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ and the picture on the home page there I'm talking just about the top part. All it has is a tiny air hole drilled into it (like 1/8") so it will self-start and its intake is submerged so they are suppose to be very quiet and I assume would have minimal co2 loss, though the box style one would probably be similar and you can even do the durso style in the back section for the final drain, like this: http://www.dursostandpipes.com/Popul...9/Default.aspx . I've only studied them so I cant really compare them in real life, anyone else?

~Tristan
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Here are a few.

http://www.nd.edu/~lego/grp2/www/reef_diy.htm

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Very interesting desings gmccreedy, thanks for posting those. Everytime I see that 'pretzel' I have to laugh... I mean I am sure its great and all but it just looks crazy!

~Tristan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 09:35 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is our discussion of the 'pretzel'

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-retrofit.html

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wow thanks guys, I'll give it a thought! I actually like the pretzel design...its very simple and is the least invasive out of all of them (space wise). It also has to look good since it is such a small tank, and some of those overflows look gigantic. But great ideas, I've never worked with gluing acrylic before so this is certainly an inviting alternative. Thanks a lot! (Which is the least water turbulent design iyo btw?)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode