Ladder + Bell question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ladder + Bell question

Hi,

Ok, so I've been reading old posts talking about placing a bell over the nutrafin ladder to keep bubbles in the tank longer. There have been some posts saying that it would not do any good since the remaining gas is mostly o2 at that point. The question is, since I use 3 bottles of DIY co2 connected to that ladder and that the bubble flow is quite constant (like 1 per second or so), will all the co2 be dissolved at that point? Would a bell help in anyway?

My glosso has come back from the dead since I added more co2 bottles, so I'm trying to get the maximum from diy as I can. I believe most of you will suggest a powerhead on top to break the bubbles but since my plants are all the way to the top I'm afraid the extra current will blow the plants away from the tank sides.

Anyway, thanks for the help, its always greatly appreciated.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
IMO the powerhead will owrk best, other than that:

Why not put the ladder under the filter outflow, no extra flow, and it should blow the bubbles around.

A bell works if you have some kind of current rushing past it to help dissolve the CO2 caught in the bell.

HTH

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There's not enough space under the filter outflow to place the ladder cause of rocks and all....

I'm thinking of using a funnel like bell with a hose directing it under the flow. I suppose that would work?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
IMO, sounds like a lot of in the tank stuff, and more to try and hide.

"If it aint broke dont fix it", however if you think you are not getting enough CO2,
Maybe you should look into an internal power reactor.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

True

Powerhead it will be then..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:45 AM
Planted Member

Sorry to resurrect the post, but here is my setup: Nutrafin ladder, cut half funnel piece of soda bottle, held onto the maxijet jet intake with a rubber band. Works wonderfully, and sends hundreds little shreds of co2 all over the tank! I know the 2L soda bottle part is hard to see, but what did you expect, its clear ! Good luck!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

worst thing is that I dont need to change the set up after all...
There's enough co2 according to the charts right now even without the powerhead.

I guess I should have waited a bit longer before assuming that my readings were right.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Planted Member

Thats fine, but remember by using more produced co2 you'll be getting a longer life out of each yeast mix. Also you mention using a chart, if you're using the ph/kh chart to read co2, don't bother since its not correct. The best check (and the cheapest) is to degas the water, where you check the pH, scoop up a cup of water and let it sit 24 hours. Check the pH again and compare the difference. 1deg of change is equal to 30ppm co2. Then drop checkers are also an excellent choice for continuous monitoring.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Planted Member

If you are using 3 bottles of DIY CO2 I would suggest that you get a power head. It is the only thing I can think of that would effectively handle that much CO2 while not making the tank look ugly.

Playin with Plants n Shrimp

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode