DIY co2 recipe - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
DIY co2 recipe

i'm looking for a solid stable long lasting DIY co2 recipe. i've found a bunch of different recipes online but thought i'd ask y'all before doing it.

it also need to be pretty easily scale-able since i'm going to be putting it one of these and i'm not sure how much they hold...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

bump... even though it's only been an hour and a half... i'm about to go to the store and wanna get the supplies... it's just sugar, water, yeast (kind?), and baking soda... right?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
I would do a 2 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon yeast(Im Pretty sure its 1/4 teaspoon), and fill with warm water up until the water line. Baking soda is not needed. I use baking yeast and it works pretty well for CO2 mixtures. Not sure of the brand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Just get some baking yeast (Red Star works fine), fill with sugar to the bottom marker, warm water to the top marker, I think I used 1/4-1/2 tsp of baking soda and 1/8-1/4 tsp of yeast. Any of those combinations will work.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
i use 1 cup sugar and 1/8 tsp per every liter used.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
I reccomend the baking soda. I believe it helps maintain a constant production of CO2 and minimizes the "peaking"...basically sustains a more stable bubble count. I can't verify this...but I believe it has been documented and tested here somewhere.

The "mystery products" that come with the Hagen system are yeast and baking soda...so they even reccomend it.

Naja's recipe is the same I use.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
if you want both stable and long-lasting then you have to use Champagne yeast and not the bread yeast you find at the grocery store. Bread yeast will have a big peak very fast and then quickly die because it can't handle the high acidity and alcohol produced in the solution. Champagne yeast has a slow steady peak and is designed to work in environments with acidity and alcohol. Luckily, you don't have to use a lot of Champagne yeast (i used to use 1/8 teaspoon in my 2-liter bottles) and it's pretty cheap. You can get a 5 gram packet (enough for several months) for about a dollar. Look for a local brewing/winemaking supply shops or if you can't find any, there are lots of places online that will sell them. Just keep the rest of the packet in the freezer and the yeast will stay fresh and active for 6-8 months. My favorite Champagne yeast is called "Pasteur Champagne." The solutions would last about 4 weeks using this yeast.

Also, absolutely add baking soda because it will buffer the solution (make it take longer to get acidic) and prolong the life of the solution. If you have really soft water, you will need to add extra.

Here is my recipe (for a 2-liter bottle, just scale it down):
1/8 teaspoon Champagne yeast
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
tepid water
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
For this Nutrafin bottle the correct quantities are:

- Sugar until the first mark inside bottle
- 5 grams baking soda
- 0,5 grams yeast
- water to second mark.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reizao View Post
For this Nutrafin bottle the correct quantities are:

- Sugar until the first mark inside bottle
- 5 grams baking soda
- 0,5 grams yeast
- water to second mark.
ahh...there is no "correct" way...CO2 is CO2...it costs less than a dollar to make a batch...rough it in and go for it!!!

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbennett View Post
if you want both stable and long-lasting then you have to use Champagne yeast and not the bread yeast you find at the grocery store. Bread yeast will have a big peak very fast and then quickly die because it can't handle the high acidity and alcohol produced in the solution. Champagne yeast has a slow steady peak and is designed to work in environments with acidity and alcohol. Luckily, you don't have to use a lot of Champagne yeast (i used to use 1/8 teaspoon in my 2-liter bottles) and it's pretty cheap. You can get a 5 gram packet (enough for several months) for about a dollar. Look for a local brewing/winemaking supply shops or if you can't find any, there are lots of places online that will sell them. Just keep the rest of the packet in the freezer and the yeast will stay fresh and active for 6-8 months. My favorite Champagne yeast is called "Pasteur Champagne." The solutions would last about 4 weeks using this yeast.

Also, absolutely add baking soda because it will buffer the solution (make it take longer to get acidic) and prolong the life of the solution. If you have really soft water, you will need to add extra.

Here is my recipe (for a 2-liter bottle, just scale it down):
1/8 teaspoon Champagne yeast
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
tepid water
is this a good price for Pasteur champagne yeast? $0.85 per packet
http://store.homebrewheaven.com/shar...t=products.asp

there's also a bulk thing of that yeast... 500 grams for $25

and i need to figure out how much sugar and water goes into that thing to get the ratios right. and i don't have a gram scale so everything needs to be in tablespoon/teaspoon measurements...

is it 2 cup of sugar, 1/8th teaspoon of yeast, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda? and does it matter how much water? or does it have to be scaled down per a specific amount of water? there seems to be a couple different recipes...
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

$0.85 per pack plus $5.00 shipping to my address whether I buy 1 pack or 10. Local purchase requires sales tax. Total cost is what matters....

HTH

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
$0.85 per pack plus $5.00 shipping to my address whether I buy 1 pack or 10. Local purchase requires sales tax. Total cost is what matters....

HTH
where do you buy yours? that site i listed has a minimum order of $15
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I just use baker's yeast from the grocery store. The cost v champagne yeast to me is a moot point. I don't find the hassle of getting champagne yeast v just picking up some baker's yeast at the grocery store to be worth the extra hassle. But its up to each individual. Champagne yeast will last longer per batch, but its never been that important to me personally.

My point is: the cost difference is negligible, so if it is too much hassle to acquire champagne yeast--just pick up some baker's yeast.

HTH

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)
I use jello for the sugar mix, read about it and it seemed to last longer, and this has been my experience - it takes the yeast longer to "burn" through the jello mix. But, it also slows down the bubble rate some.

I use 2 small jello packs, made per box instructions. Add 2 cups sugar with the jello mix. Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda before puttint it into the fridge, and shake it slightly (It'll fizz up, it settles back down.)

Once it it set, I put 1 cup of water with 1/4 teaspoon of yeast on top of the jello. I find I can reset the yeast mix by pouring it off the top and putting new yeast on the remaining jello after a couple of weeks, and they last me over a month.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so... just for kicks, i decided to measure the hagen recipe...

a little under 1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon yeast (activator)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda (stabilizer)
2 cups water.

i'm gonna use one of their recipe (and their packets) and then use my own yeast and baking soda and recipe in the other one, start them at the same time and see what happens. thinking i'll stick with 1/8tsp yeast, change it to 1/2tsp baking soda and 1/2 cup sugar. the maybe do two other trials with yeast and baking soda at 1/4 & 1/2 and 1/4 & 3/4 tsp respectively.

it's like a science project all over again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in