DIY CO2- what went wrong - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2- what went wrong

I rtied making a CO2 tank, using the 2 liter soda bottle, no bubbles were made once ervything got mixed together, am i suppossed to w8 awhile before bubbles ar eproduced or is it suppossed to be instantaneous?

=) I LOVE MY PSP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.....and my fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
It takes several hours, if not overnight.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Algae Grower

I too was having trouble getting my first couple C02 bottles to start until I read and followed the following procedure:

Mix the yeast in 1/4 cup water at temp of 104 degrees (instructions actually said between something like 90 and 110 but identified 104 as the best temp)

Stir rapidly to make bubbles which dissolves oxygen into the mix.

Add small pinch of sugar, stir again. Wait approx 10 minutes. I usually wait until the 1/4 cup I started with has doubled to 1/2 cup.

I add 1/2 the amount of (hot) water to the bottle. Dissolve the sugar, add the rest of the water (cold).

Add yeast mixture and shake the bottle.

I have mixed around 10 bottles using this method and have C02 within 30 minutes on every one of them.

However, I do use more yeast than many recipes recommend. I have 2 bottles set-up and change one approx every 7 days. Keeps a nice steady flow. I have 2-3 bps consistent.

My recipe:
2 cups sugar
No baking soda
1 tsp Yeast
bottle filled to the bottom of the curve of the pop bottle

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

More sugar makes the recipe last longer. So does baking soda.

Rena Filtstar #137!

Last edited by tropicalfish; 07-18-2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Incorrect spelling.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
dechlorinate your water...
and make a starter first.. put 1/4-1/2 cup of water with a 1 tbs of sugar in the microwave for 12 sec.. You want the water to be lukewarm. If it's too hot just add cold water.

Put in the yeast. And let sit for 30min. Go do something else.
Then put the whole thing in the 2 liter bottle with sugar.. Make sure not to put in too much sugar.. That's the secret I've learned. (1-2 cups).. Too much sugar actually inhibits their growth & longevity. You might get a sudden crazy burst at first but they'll die off fast.

They'll make bubbles pretty much within 30 mins if not sooner. Oh, and do this at night when the plants don't care about CO2 levels.

ps. I add a little nitrate & phosphate in the mix. Mine last for 3-4 weeks.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
TRUST me, it will work (had a bucket of beer blow open the lid once...what a mess)

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode