Yet another DIY co2 Question...but a little different this time. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yet another DIY co2 Question...but a little different this time.

I was wondering if there is anything out there that uses the co2 canisters for BB guns as a co2 source. Are they just not practical from a size/cost stand point?

I'm looking for ideas for my 10 gal, cheap ones. I have a yeast bottle on it now and am fighting air leaks

125gal Malawi Cichlid....120gal Redbellied Piranha.....55gal S. American Cichlid.....38gal Blue Gill Sunfish
2.5gal Pico-Reef: Started 16 Dec 07 Pics-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10gal planted: starting off slow Pic-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pressurized CO2 requires a regulator no matter what kind of bottle you're using, and regulators aren't cheap. ...at least compared to fixing the leaks in your yeast system.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

arent there little valves (needle valve comes to mind???) that can do that on a lower(are they lower?) pressure system?

as you an tell, I don't really have any real plans for this or any ideas. It was just one of those lightbulbs in the shower (sounds dangerous!)

125gal Malawi Cichlid....120gal Redbellied Piranha.....55gal S. American Cichlid.....38gal Blue Gill Sunfish

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The size of the cannister has nothing to do with the static pressure. CO2 will be at the same pressure at the same temperature in a closed vessel regardless of size, assuming there's still some liquid in it. Once the liquid all boils off from use, the pressure will sharply drop as the remaining gas is used.

Anyway, those CO2 cartridges are available in 8, 12 & 16 gram sizes. There's 450 grams in 1 lb. A 5 lb cylinder contains 2250 g. That's a little over 140 cartridges. 5 cases of 30 16g cartridges is around $225.00. You might as well get a 5 lb cylinder. It's cheaper, you could probably get the regulator, needle valve, and your choice of diffuser or reactor for close to the same and you won't have an anneurism changing cartridges a couple times a day.

Tommy <9))>>{

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
The size of the cannister has nothing to do with the static pressure
I know that, I just wasn't sure if the little ones were compressed all the way to liquid. Sunds like it's more ass pain than it would be worth. My glue dried on my yeast bottle so I guess I can stop thinking of alternatives now that it's working well.

thanks for the info!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 01:39 AM
Zer
Algae Grower

if you had a CO2 powered BB gun, just stick it in the tank and pull the trigger once a day!

just kidding, that would disturb the fish alot and there is probably bad stuff in the gun that would get into the tank and harm the fish. But its a funny thought using a magnum revolver to dose CO2!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Algae Grower

hello everyone, i sort of had an idea today about DIY CO2...
i was wondering that if you were to put
chalk/ baking soda/ marble chips in
vinegar or some other acid maybe a little stronger.

im pretty sure that This mixture of acid and a carbonate will give off CO2
just wondering if this would give off any other gasses (poisenous to the fish or otherwise,) also would this alter the water chemistry to dangerous levels?

Thankyou. :¨)

46 Gallon- 5 Glowlight Tetras, 5 Cardinal Tetras, 3 Zebra Loach, 4 Bronze Cory, 3 Ottocinclus, 1 Red-Tailed Black-shark, 1 Bristlenose Ancistrus, 2 Kribensis, 4 Golden Wonder Panchax, 2 River Shrimp.

"I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying". They're just fish that I forgot I had planned to get."

You say 'potatoes' We say 'tomatoes'
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
Joe, with the method you described you would have a hugh flow of CO2 very fast. If you tried to slow it down the pressure would build up and you would most likely have an explosion on your hands. Poisenous or not I would mess with this. Kind of like a dry ice bomb without the dry ice.

I have blown up a plastic pop bottle with vinegar and baking soda just to see if it would work. Dry Ice is expensive.

High Tech:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Algae Grower

Guess i won't be trying that one then
would you still have the high pressures if you were to mix the vinegar with water?

Thankyou :¨D

46 Gallon- 5 Glowlight Tetras, 5 Cardinal Tetras, 3 Zebra Loach, 4 Bronze Cory, 3 Ottocinclus, 1 Red-Tailed Black-shark, 1 Bristlenose Ancistrus, 2 Kribensis, 4 Golden Wonder Panchax, 2 River Shrimp.

"I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying". They're just fish that I forgot I had planned to get."

You say 'potatoes' We say 'tomatoes'

Last edited by joe the pleco; 07-18-2007 at 04:06 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode