DIY Hanging Light Fixture - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
DIY Hanging Light Fixture

Has anyone done anything like this? Ideally, I'd like to build a rather high end wooden enclosure that would use AH supply retrofit kits and be able to hang over a 55 gallon/90 gallon. Basically, I want to make something that I can use now over the 55, but in the future when I have moved into a more permanent residence, I could put it over a 90,

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:32 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am currently in the final stages of making a wooden aquarium hood for my 90 gallon tank. Previously I had a 55, and the main differences between this hood and the one I made for the 55 is the depth front to back of the hood. Both the 55 and the 90 are 48" long, so while I have been making the new hood the old hood has been on the 90. If I knew I was going to find a 90 gallon tank in less than a year I would have likely made the hood to fit the 90 in the first place.

Fishscale, sorry I should drink more coffee before I post, you are talking about hanging pendant lights and I am talking about a conventional aquarium hood.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Search the DIY threads...there are tons of these. Do you plan on hanging from the ceiling or from a overhead stand?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Overhead stand, Jason Baliban or ringram style with conduit straps and bars. I haven't found any yet but maybe I'm not searching for the right thing. I see a lot of hoods and a lot of overhead stands, but not much in the way of actual hanging fixtures.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

bump bump? Honestly, I searched and couldn't find them. Well, I found 2, but they weren't what I was looking for, really. (I'm looking for something that I could fit retrofits in)

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Anyone at all?

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 03:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just posted a detailed breakdown of my conduit hanger which is almost identical to ringram's. It's over here on APC (I decided cross-linking was probably preferable to cross-posting).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I built mine using standard Perfecto stand for 29 Gal tank and a few pieces of black steel pipes and tees. The long pipes are bolted in two points to the back of the stand, and the tees and short pieces formed shelf supports that now houses 5 gal tank and four flower pots. The DIY canopy is suspended below the shelf about 2" off the top of the tank using picture wire. A few screws under the shelf serve as anchors and allow lifting the canopy to higher position for tank maintenance. I don't have the picture at the moment.

29g eco, DIY up to 81W PC (55W used), Rena Filstar XP2 Filter
Corkscrew Vals, 2 angels, 4 corydoras aeneus, Ramshorn snails, MTS
5 gal RCS tank with sand bottom, java moss, small internal filter, MTS, Ramshorn snails.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to dapellegrini
Well, I hesitate to mention the one I built because it is not really what are you are asking about - but here it is just the same:

http://aape.naturalaquariums.com/for...p?topic=1522.0

You have to get to the second or third page to see the final outcome. Not exactly what you were asking for I know - but here it is just the same.

There are a lot more tools and talent needed to build a wood canopy - making a bent conduit bar was hard enough for me
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Mine is a bit on the ghetto side, but I haven't been working with wood very long. Took a couple days to make and a bit of troubleshooting, but not bad at all. It houses a 2x55 AHsupply fixture.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
try asking bharada how he built his lighting fixture on his crypt tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode