Where to buy and what ratio for DIY CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where to buy and what ratio for DIY CO2

I'm trying to do a diy co2 system for my tank. I however live in the UK and have no idea where to get champagne yeast for a co2 reactor. Anyone know of places online to get it? What are some good rations of things for diy. This is my first try at the plant thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
here is a link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160121259626 but idk if they ship to the UK and do a search on the forums there are plenty of threads about recipes on here.

- Fishlover
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Tanks :
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Are You dead-set on Champagne yeast, or are You really just looking for yeast....?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Basically I'm looking for the best beginner diy co2 reactor. I figured my first plant tank would end up being easier and simpler than my reef tanks. I'm beginning to think I'm wrong.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Champagne yeast will just help the mix last longer. I may be wrong, but I don't think that there is really any other benefit. You can get baker's yeast at the grocery store--Its cheap and readily available.

What size tank, lighting, etc......?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My tank is 48x15x18 and I've got two 96 watt power compacts. One 6500 and one 10k. it's rather bright and nice light. I know the 10k isn't what some people might call yellow, I just really liked it in my reef tank and I don't want to change. :-)
I got this stuff bye sera called CO2-start. The box is written in Deutsch primarily, but I tried it for the first time today and the fish don't seem to be unhappy and my plants are looking good so far. We'll see how this stuff works. Pretty simple and easy.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I don't imagine your plants mind a 10000k very much when there's 192watts overall. Quite a few people do that. Some argue that the listed color temps are worth nothing more than aesthetic value to people, not actual spectrums seen by plants.

You'll want to have at least two reactors going at once in a tank this big, and a good diffusion method will really help. I diffuse DIY in my 30gl with a limewood airstone under HOB current on one bottle, on the other bottle I run the tubing into a homemade bell diffuser (bottom of a 16oz pepsi bottle, upside down, suction cups) which is placed near some current. I have no problems reaching 30ppm CO2 this way when the reactors are at full production, but your tank is bigger so DIY will be less efficient. Co2 concentration in my 30gl tank can vary all the way down to 8ppm, the usual is between 15 & 20ppm, that's how inconsistent DIY can be unless you stay on top of it and stock up on sugar.

The fizz tab thing you have might not give you the results to be worth staying with it. Once people see the results DIY can give on a good week, the inconsistency of it and especially of the fizz tabs, along with the attention required drives many of us to turn toward pressurized systems.

My ratio/mixing method for 2L bottle:

1. 1/8 tsp yeast + 1/2 tsp warm water + pinch of sugar into a small cup, whisk until bubbly, set covered for 10 minutes

2. 2 cups sugar in 2L bottle
3. fill half way w/ hot water, 1 drop Prime, 1 pinch baking soda, shake vigorously for 30 seconds
4. Fill to 3 inches from top with cool or warm water, resulting in warm overall mix*, add yeast mix, shake, hook up to tank.

*A warm mix will collapse the bottle as it cools, which will pull tank water into the bottle. Use a check valve between the tank and bottle to avoid this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode