DIY Fish Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
DIY Fish Tank

Could it be possible to copy my Ocenaic Stand that it's made for a 60x18x24 tank and stand is 36 inches high with a matching canopy {got 6 t5ho's in right now} And build it to fit a 180 gal tank 72x24 . The second pic is a old pic and don't have that filter system install any more but shows the center brace and to the left , I would use 5/8 Oak Ply wood and just order cabinet doors . What would you think would it work and stain it after I get the doors to match them?
I use a Eheim 2262 filter now so I could make the center brace almost the 50-60 inches long and have another Eheim 2262 or the new Fluval FX6 on the other end

Need some input from others may be Pic's and idea's of what I could do thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0068.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	223897  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0034.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	223905  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't see why you couldn't build the stand for this.
Use 4x4's for the corners and center braces, and 2x4's running the length of the tank, with sealed plywood on top of that, with the tank sitting on it.
this would allow the weight to distribute over a larger area vs what I see in that stand.
if you don't mind spending a little more to distribute the weight even more, get another sheet of plywood to go on the very bottom, something like 5/8"

something like this, this is exactly what I was describing
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...lon-Tank-Stand
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
When I build stands for 48" long tanks I may or may not add a center leg. The stands that came with some of them have a center support, but I feel the cabinetry techniques and materials are a bit wimpy, so the middle leg is important for that style.
I built a stand for my 72 gallon bowfront (48" long) with no middle leg, and it is just fine.

I only have one tank that is 60", and it came with a stand, similar in concept to your picture. There are 2 doors, and the space between them is the front-middle support.

When I built the stand for my 125 (72" long) I made 2 internal legs, so there are a total of 8 legs: one at each corner, 2 front and 2 back 'middle' legs. Actually at 1/3 and 2/3 of the spacing.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ocianic thank stand was build with I think 1/3 oak with a full 60in bottom with 4 door's, was thinking of using 5/8 oak with a full back cover and floor and use cut out for equipment holes and order 4 doors for the front . I've seen Profeto's stands for 125 an larger but the tank sitting low .
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 06:02 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Just build a 2x4 stand and wrap it in 1/4" oak ply. Add some nice trimming then stain it with a light toned stain and you'll have a nice looking stand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode