80 mm fan for hood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
80 mm fan for hood

So I have build a lighting good for my 55 gal hood. I have 2 fans, one for the lighting area, one for the tank area. I had a 80 mm ac fan from coralife I had bought years ago. I needed another one, but it appears that it has been discontinued. I found a adjustable speed 80 mm fan on amazon. I got it figuring I could run it slower since I don't need it to be full speed and it would be even quieter then my other already quiet fan. the claimed db level was actually 2 lower then the coralife. Well its not. It is way to loud, and i need another fan but I can't seem to find any. does anyone know of any 80 mm fans that can be plugged in? I know I can get a comp case fan, but i have no way of powering it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Assuming wall power for you is 120ish volts, http://www.mpja.com/3-1_8in-Square-X...fo/17771%20FN/ will work as long as you dont mind a little soldering/electrical work as it will need an AC male 2prong connector on the end. Also for 12v fans from computers, they can easily be powered by 12v step down transformers. Something like this: http://www.mpja.com/12-Volt-Plug-In-...fo/19466%20PS/ would work perfectly. Frankly, anything from this page http://www.mpja.com/12-Volt-Power-Supply/products/537/ would work for a 12v computer fan, but i picked an easy one to wire and use as there are no other cables required

There is ALWAYS a need for MORE filtration.
40b high tech, 20h low tech, and more 10g than I am willing to admit.
75g in the works (maybe discus high tech?)
SunSun Pimp #85
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
For a low cost, low tech way to power a fan, I might suggest looking around at Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. Remember all those little transformer power supplies for all those gizmos we use? Some of those are 12V DC and run small fans fine. Just match the fan to the power supply. If you find a power supply with the same voltage as the fan, just make sure it is rated to put out enough power to run the fan. Search for electrical conversion calcs on the net. You may want to convert milliamp to watts, etc. but the calculators will do all the work for you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode