canopy hood ventilation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
canopy hood ventilation

I am building a hood for my 55gal tank. I have it divided into 2 parts. the upper part is where all the electrical and lights are. I have a fan for this section to keep the lights and ballasts cool. Then I have glass separating the lights from the water. It is about 6 to 8 inches above the water line so i have room to access the tank. My question is should I also have a fan for the lower part to keep the humidity down? And whats the best what to vent it if I need to vent? What is the best paint to use for the inside part of the canopy? I've seen some people say external paint while others say no. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I don't think you will be able to seal off that hood from the outside air well enough for an extreme humidity to ever build up. That means you can use almost any paint for that section of the hood. There is a benefit to using forced air ventilation for that lower area, and that is to keep the tank water cooler. The moving air will evaporate more water, cooling the water as it does. "Desertmonkey" can be interpreted to mean you live in a hot climate area, where you may have problems with tank temperature, which would be helped by doing this.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha I live far from the desert! But one small fan blowing air in should be fine? I just don't want any rotting or mold problems for the canopy. I'm using 3-4 ft t5ho bulbs if that matters.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Even a small fan (computer fan or equal) can do a really good job of removing the air from the hood. I would have one for the lights, and set it up to come on with the lights. The second would be for that void between glass and water. Keeping the humidity down in this area will also keep the glass cleaner, as well as cooling the tank if needed. This one would probably be on a separate timer. You will want to experiment with how long to run it. Maybe it will end up on the same timer as the other one. Maybe you will need to adjust it seasonally, running it longer when the weather is hotter.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That is what i was thinking about doing. I have a computer type fan that plugs in the wall I will have on a timer with the lights. I was thinking about having the second fan for the water area. Thanks for your insight!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
My 180 SW tank had a bank of 8 large computer fans lining the whole back of the hood, they were built into a removable panel, that angled them down toward the water. I had a dual stage temp controller on that tank, when temperature got too cold it kicked on a pair of 300 W heaters in the sump, when temperature got too high it kicked on the bank of fans, as well as a fan on the sump.

It did a fantastic job of cooling the tank, even with 1000W of light.

Whiskey

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode