Inexpensive Co2 diffusion method (added bonus for those with a SunSun) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Inexpensive Co2 diffusion method (added bonus for those with a SunSun)

Long time lurker, first time poster here! Since there seems to be a lot of chatter about DIY co2 reactors and such I thought I'd share a write up on my own contraption that has worked out great so far. This diffusion method relies on a modified needle wheel impeller and can be built with a minimal investment in materials. In fact, if you've been doing this whole aquarium thing for very long at all you've probably got 99% of this stuff in your "parts bin."
Additionally, if you've got a SunSun HW series "outside filter," it makes building the diffuser even easier, and you'll finally have something useful to do with the "surface skimmer" attachment!

Materials needed:

1. Some method of Co2 supply. Either a pressurized tank, or a yeast generator.

2. Maxi-jet powerhead. I'm sure other brands may work, but I'm basing this write-up on my use of the Marineland Maxi-jet and all fitment/compatibility with all the other components. The ones they sell now include several strainers. You will need one of these.

3. Flexible aquarium plumbing as included with most canister filters. Just a 6-8" length of "extra" tubing will do.

4. 3/16" ID airline or Co2 tubing.

5. Top Fin "Mist" air stone. These are the small ones you can buy at just about any "big box" pet store. They are sold in 3 and 6-packs and are about 1/2" in diameter. Unlike most other air stones they will fit inside the flexible tubing without restricting flow.

Constructing the Diffuser

1. First you will want to modify the impeller on the Maxi-jet into a homemade "needle wheel." This will reduce flow somewhat, but will do a much better job of mixing up the co2. Simply line up the tabs on the bottom of the input/output of the powerhead and it slides right off. The impeller's right there and is retained by a magnet so it'll just pull right out. The blades are a semi-flexible rubber. Using an exacto knife, remove small sections of each of the blade along their lengths. Be careful not to cut all the way through or you'll be starting over with a new one! The end result should look like figure 1.

2. Reassemble the powerhead and attach the 6-8" length of canister filter tubing to the input of the powerhead. It should fit snugly. See figure 2.

3. Affix the 3/16" ID output line of your Co2 generator/tank to the "mist" airstone and insert the stone and line into the flexible tubing mentioned in step 2. How you do this is up to you. You could cut an access hole in the strainer that came with the powerhead and simply run the line through there or try any method you like. If you have a SunSun HW series filter, you know that it came with a pretty useless surface skimmer that you probably sealed off. The fitting for the skimmer is a perfect means to attach your Co2 line as it will fit the flexible tubing on one end and the strainer attachment on the other! You can see it in the third picture.

4. Attach the strainer to the bottom of the tube. This keeps anything from getting sucked up into your powerhead. You could also use a pre-filter if you wish. See the fourth picture.

5. Submerge everything and start your powerhead/needle wheel diffuser.
Depending on your bubble count, a 7-up effect is highly possible.

Hope you guys enjoyed this! I borrowed most of the ideas from things I read on this forum. Your comments/suggestions/improvements would be most welcome. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	211561  

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	211569  

Name:	06.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	211577  

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	211585  

Name:	09.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	211593  

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	211601  

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	211609  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
What I like about using the power head is us diy guys can achieve a similar result of turning off the co2 at night like pressurized guys by simply turning off the power head. The bubbles build up inside the power head and eventually big bubbles spill out which diffuse poorly. I think it keeps the co2 level pretty constant at night and I don't need to add any additional air stones or anything. At least IMO.

If in doubt, add more plants!

My not-enough-plants-but-not-enough-space-to-put-anymore-so-will-start-going-up-box-of-water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
You can get rid of the air stone inside because the impeller will breakup the bubbles. Well, you would still get the 7up look with fine mists and bubbles all over the tank.

Canon Pimp Club #005

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode