Food recipe - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Food recipe

Dunno if this should be posted in the fish section, but it's DIY food so...

Long post, lots of questions. Sorry in advance yadda yadda...

I wanna make my own batch of fish food for the first time. I want this food to be nutritious, delicious, and also enhance the colors of my critters. I know there are lots of excellent foods already on the market but I like doing things myself, and usually the hard way haha. Currently I have guppies, a new pair of "orange flash" apistos, and red rili shrimp. I want this food to be able to be fed to all of my tanks, so I'm looking for a formula that will be acceptable by each species standards.

I plan on making a gel food and freezing it.

-I have some freeze dried bloodworms and daphnia that I will throw in the mix for protein as well as freeze dried shrimp or krill, whichever I find.

-I was planning on using spinach for vegetable matter but I read an article that suggested using marine plants instead as a fish's digestive system is more adapted to eating aquatic vegetation than terrestrial vegetation. I can order seaweed or algae in sheets pretty easily, but does anyone have any thoughts as to terrestrial vs aquatic plants for feeding?

-I want to put in a few green peas and some cloves of garlic for immune support.

-For color enhancers I was going to use spirulina and astaxanthin powder. I've been thinking about adding yellow and orange foods to the mix as well, but will this just be overkill? I understand spirulina is for blue/green and astaxanthin is for red, but does it work for orange and yellow as well? If not I'm thinking 1 orange and 1 yellow bell pepper, or maybe a yellow bell and some pumpkin. Anything else for blue/green coloring?

-Any leftover food I have will be tossed in as well. This could be anything from tetra color crisps to brine shrimp pellets to crab cuisine to sinking algae wafers.

-Any thoughts on vitamin additives? I know there are several available, but do I need them?

-Grind it up, mix with agar agar, you know the drill.

That's about it really. Mostly I'm curious if y'all think this will be a good recipe for nutrition, growth, and color for fish as well as shrimp. Suggest and comment away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
If you are using all foods mostly that are already processed some why not just feed the variety? If mixing old food in, which I assume is what you wanted to get away from it doesn't make much sense to me.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ive tried the DIY method, it becomes a smelly pain in the butt IMO. When living with others, they do not appreciate the smell and mess it can make. I decided to dive in head first and buy a TON (about 8lbs) of food from Ken's Fish (kensfish.com) and I can say, without a doubt, that is is some of the BEST flake food out there. I have stopped feeding pellets (NLS Thera-a) because my fish love this stuff even more... The prices are ridiculous (shipping isnt bad either, but my order was over 75 bucks) and the food is very high quality. My severums, Angels, Rams, Gouramis, and other misc fishes all go nuts for this food. With 2 weeks of feeding, I can see a definite change in color in my Green Sevs and my long finned rosy barbs. Overall, the prices are so close to what I was spending on DIY food (a half pound of flake is A LOT more than I thought it was going to be). 9.5/10 mostly because the flakes came huge and I had to crush them, also you should at least refrigerate the food you will not use within a month or so, so an entire produce drawer in my fridge is now fish food.

There is ALWAYS a need for MORE filtration.
40b high tech, 20h low tech, and more 10g than I am willing to admit.
75g in the works (maybe discus high tech?)
SunSun Pimp #85

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
The processed food I have is mostly just small sample packs I've picked up. I want to throw it in the mix just to use it up, I don't like having a whole drawer full of random fish stuff that often gets overlooked. Plus, I'd like to have a food that I can feed just once and have it cover all the nutritional and color enhancing bases instead of fumbling around with several different food types. Ill spice things up with live food every now and then.

I imagine the DIY food will be a smelly mess, but I still wanna try it haha. I have several friends that keep fish as well so I can make it at their house and not worry too much

If it turns out this is going to be way more trouble than it's worth I'll just order processed food in bulk. I have done this in the past and am just now starting to run out, hence the DIY food idea.

Any thoughts on the recipe? Will this work for both shrimp and fish? I imagine my fish will want more protein in their diet than the shrimp will, but how much protein is too much for shrimp?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode