powerhead co2 with needle wheel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
powerhead co2 with needle wheel

Can someone explain this concept to me and how to go about making one. Tried a google search and am still kinda confused. I have a 20 gallon long. What kind of powerhead should I use? Would a maxijet 600 work?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Almost any powerhead will work, as long as you can disassemble it far enough to remove the rotor, and I haven't seen a powerhead where you can't do that. One of the easiest ways to convert the rotor to a quasi-needlewheel type is to slit each rotor down the length either once or twice, leaving two or three narrow flaps instead of one. Then, gently bend those a bit to separate them so the finished rotor has somewhat uniformly spaced narrow flaps all around. I did mine with a toenail clipper, but others have used diagonal cutters. I only slit mine once, doubling the number of flaps, and it worked very well for me. Then you have to introduce the CO2 into the powerhead inlet, so the bubbles go through the rotor and get chopped up. It helped when I added a small airstone so I had smaller CO2 bubbles, rather than just one big bubble each burp of the CO2. It is quieter that way too. I used a small internal power filter instead of a powerhead, so I could use the empty filter chamber to fit the airstone in.

Hoppy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
ok, thanks hoppy. I have a ceramic diffusor, so just sit that under the powerhead right. Also, which one should I use for my 20 long tank. I'm in desparate need of more circulation. Fish poop just sits on leaves.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Just putting the diffuser under a powerhead isn't very effective. Instead, cut a hole in the inlet area of the powerhead and poke the CO2 hose in the hole, or, if you have a cage of some kind over the inlet, poke the CO2 hose into that. You want the CO2 bubbles to be released right next to the little pump inlet in the powerhead. Otherwise, some of the bubbles escape and float to the water surface. Again, what works very well is using a small internal power filter like: http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Internal-Power-Filter-Aquarium/dp/B0002DGT8M These are just a powerhead with a filter chamber attached to the pump inlet, which normally holds filter media. I had a small airstone stuck into that chamber, so the CO2 bubbles were smaller before they were sucked into the pump inlet. (My filter was a different brand, but worked the same way.)

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode