DIY CO2 one gallon Y splitter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/93%)
DIY CO2 one gallon Y splitter?

HI All,

Was wondering if anyone has ever tried a DIY co2 which splits in to two diffuser.

ANyone have experience if it will work? I was thinking of using a bigger one gallon size

Also I fixed my DIY CO2 problem, it was leaking on the cap the caulk I used never really dries so i used Epoxy Resin!!!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
It is very unlikely that you would ever get a split to work. The only way it would work was if you had EXACTLY the same amount of back pressure on each line. If not then you would get more on one than the other, more likely you would get little to none out of one of them.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
isnt those y splitters called a gang valve? theyre like $4 at petland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55 GAL DISCUS

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
It is very unlikely that you would ever get a split to work. The only way it would work was if you had EXACTLY the same amount of back pressure on each line. If not then you would get more on one than the other, more likely you would get little to none out of one of them.
No, With an open Y splitter (no valves), the pressure in both bottles would always be the same. It might take a little while longer to pressurize the lines if one bottle is weaker than normal, but that's a one time thing. It will work fine

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronados View Post
No, With an open Y splitter (no valves), the pressure in both bottles would always be the same. It might take a little while longer to pressurize the lines if one bottle is weaker than normal, but that's a one time thing. It will work fine

If your got pressurized co2 it may work because you have both ample supply and pressure. In a diy system where you most likely running a bit lean on both, you'll probably experience some differential if not one simply not working. Basically to get equal out of both diffusers you need to have everything exactly the same so you don't have loads in your lines. This is more visible with liquids but will still be an issue with gas. The diffusers also need to be exactly the same height in the tank and be pretty much the same, if one tends to use less pressure to operational the other then you'll see it getting more co2. Gasses similar to water always takes the path of least resistance.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornek8 View Post
If your got pressurized co2 it may work because you have both ample supply and pressure. In a diy system where you most likely running a bit lean on both, you'll probably experience some differential if not one simply not working. Basically to get equal out of both diffusers you need to have everything exactly the same so you don't have loads in your lines. This is more visible with liquids but will still be an issue with gas. The diffusers also need to be exactly the same height in the tank and be pretty much the same, if one tends to use less pressure to operational the other then you'll see it getting more co2. Gasses similar to water always takes the path of least resistance.
Oh wow, sorry, I completely misread the question. You are right. I thought he was asking if you could feed 2 bottles to a Y splitter

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
That was my experience when I tried to do this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
if you're running a splitter like this, get some suction cup holders, to make sure both diffusers are the same level.

Then use a piece of tubing, to create a dual Gang valve to keep equal pressure on both lines.

Emersed Tub Club #27

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode